Who is the Moodle Expert?

Who is the current Moodle expert?

I’m doing a massive overhaul of the casting class and Moodle doesn’t seem to behave like it used to. For instance, I can’t add pages or activities.

@skyspook used to be the expert but now I don’t know who to ask …

And FWIW, I’ve already started the edit so the old version is toast …

I wouldn’t say I’m an expert but I did put together 2 courses in it

We have an open ticket in IT to upgrade Moodle, we’re a major release behind. I mention this in case there are features available in 4.x you are trying to use and we’re on 3.x.

Thanks.

I’m trying to edit an existing course. It won’t let me add pages or activities. Pretty sure those features existed previously in whatever prior release.

Are you logging in as Chris Marlow? Is it a course you created that you are trying to change or one someone else created? I’m not well versed in Moodle permissions but I’m wondering if you need to manually be added as a ‘Teacher’ to any course you did not create. If I know the specific course I can look.

I am editing a course that I created.

Lost Wax Casting

Right now I have the course hidden so potential students don’t get confused with my in-process work. I’m guessing that with your privileges you can probably see it anyway.

It allows me to turn editing on … and I can edit exiting content but I can’t add lines to tables, I can’t add pages …

I might be OK here … there are still some things I cannot do but pretty sure I can work around those things to trick it into doing at least what I need …

1 Like

Need to discuss possibilities here, regarding creating a new course from an old course? I also need some discussion/advice. I’m modifying a course that some people have already completed. I’m adding sections, but the completion criteria are locked. Which makes sense …

If I make a copy of this course, with a new name (Lost Wax casting 2024 or similar), with the new completion criteria - and it assigns people to the same AD group as the current class … what do I do with the current class? Delete it? Make it unavailable for enrollment? What happens to the records of the people who have completed the first version?

Generally it is better to make a copy of the class and hide/remove the old one from being able to be enrolled in. It can also be deleted technically - but if so, we won’t be able to double check who has taken/passed it/etc.

Permissions won’t be affected though, once they are granted my moodle, they cannot be revoked by moodle. So deleting a class won’t go back and disable user permissions or anything

1 Like

What does it mean when the course you want to duplicate doesn’t offer that as an option? I’m the author on all of the courses listed below.

EDIT: In this case it required manager permissions and Jay Phelps helped me with it. This part of my challenge is solved. Now it’s just a function of trying to remember how to do some of this less-than-intuitive stuff! :crazy_face:

I’m having some difficulty with automatic assignment of AD group. @jsnowfreedman - are you the right person to answer questions on that?

I can. It can be tedious, but there is a special field in the course settings for AD Assignment or something… but the AD group there must match EXACTLY (case sensitive) to the AD group on Jump/in the AD.

If you get me the AD group name, and the course I can set it for you.

The AR group name appears to match exactly and is configured in the 2024 class and the previous version. Looking into other items now.

We figured out the issue. Moodle wasn’t authorized to manage the group so can’t add people to it.

2 Likes