Which CAD Program Does the CNC use?

Hey Guys,

I’m a newbie when it comes to both CNC and CAD, so please forgive if I asked some incredibly stupid questions.

That being said…

Which CAD program does the CNC router use?

Thanks,
Danny

My understanding is that CNC programs use g-code, not CAD programs. Parts are generally designed in CAD programs and then (usually) another program translates the geometry into tool paths etc. that are expressed in g-code. In Solidworks, for example, there is a plug-in/add-on that can be purchased that performs this function.

That being said, I’ve seen people use Vcarve for the Multicam (wood-cutting router). I’ve seen people using Solidworks’ add-on program for the Haas CNC mill.

1 Like

We’re in a bit of a flux for that right now actually. Before Fusion 360 changed their licensing, we used them for the classes and you could use that or whatever you like after you’re signed off.

We’re currently looking for alternatives, but Solidworks is a pretty good bet as members can request a version for free on a yearly basis.

The most important answer to your question is: We have a post processor that we know works “well enough” with Fusion 360 for our specific HAAS mill.

1 Like

Thanks Guys,

This gives me a starting point.

Cheers,
Smokey

Ps-

Do all of the CAD programs pretty much work the same?

Thanks again,
Smokey

They each have their advantages.

Some people like the community built around fusion and it’s collaboration stuff, but it’s not free for a lot of use cases. There are tons of lighter-weight programs like TinkerCAD as well.

Personally, since every member here gets a free copy of Solidworks to install at home (for non-commercial stuff) and a full premium copy to use via our jump server, there isn’t much of a reason to use anything else from my perspective. It’s extremely powerful.

2 Likes

If it were me, and I had it all to do again:

• Learn Solidworks. Most Professional CAD programs work very similarly and once you’ve learned one picking up another is relatively easy, just a few weeks of “what’s the X equivalent of the Solidworks Confabulator Tool”
  • Once I had a handle on Solidworks, I’d learn a couple of Free and/or Opensource CAD tools. FreeCAD, TickerCAD, SketchUp, etc just in case something happened to my Solidworks License and I needed to CAD something without access to ~$20,000 tooling.
2 Likes

Has the 2020 version of solid works been installed yet?

1 Like

Since you’re posting this in Machine Shop/Plastics & Composites, are you asking about the Shapeoko 3/XXL ?

Sorry, I just assumed that the machines used the same software. As mentioned earlier, I’m a complete newbie starting at ground zero.

Technically, you could probably use the same software for all of the machines, but a full 3D CAD/CAM package a la Solidworks would be overkill and not well suited to doing something “simple” like control the path of a laser or even a 2D router.

VCarve for example is pretty wood router focused and works well for teaching the MultiCAM classes without having to get into the weeds of the same stuff you’d need to learn to not mess something up with the HAAS 3 Axis mill.

I believe that the Shapeoko 3 (XXL) comes bundled with its own fairly easy to use CAM software (Carbide Create). I think you can use your own g-code, but if you’re just starting out then Carbide Create might be a good starting place.

Vectric has both a HAAS and Shakeypro post processor - which means you can use VCarve pro for either if you choose to do so. You’re not limited to Fusion.

When are we going to be able to use and get signed off of the Shapeoko 3 (XXL)? I have stuff I would like to do that really doesn’t need the size of the MultiCam, but needs a bigger CNC than that small one we have.

I provided class slides to the machine shop committee. It’s in their hands but there are still pandemic concerns so I wouldn’t expect a large volume of any class. I don’t know if anyone to do a one on one. Keep in mind that the XXL is part of the Plastics SIG. if you’re expecting to do wood - the Multicam and the small Shakeypoo are your choices.

1 Like

Volunteers are working on it … but “when” depends on what material(s) you have in mind.

When the 3XXL gets into service, it has been initially voted by the committee for use on plastics only. At some point, I speculate that the committee will allow machining metals that do not require coolant. It’s unlikely that it will ever be opened for using wood.

This also included composite materials (Fiberglass, etc) BUT depends on having an enclosure and good exhaust and filtering. Because the XXL uses a real router it can easily do something like brass and copper. However, speed is an issue. The XXL has a Dewalt palm router which at 16-27000 rpm it is a bit much. I don’t know if they make a variable speed palm router with smaller speeds. On mine, I drop the speed down to 10,000 rpm for brass with good results. I generally run about 12,000 on plastics.

1 Like

What about getting a speed controller for it like this…
http://www.superpid.com/

Harbor Freight has a cheap manual one, but the operator would have to turn the nob and guess at the speed. Something like that link will get the operator a more exact speed. I’m sure we could rig something up ourselves if we didn’t want to buy a speed controller.

that looks pretty cool. I thought it was just going to be a variable POT but this looks much better than the HB one. cheers!

What is the work table size for the machine that is being used for wood?