Where to get Arctic/Baltic Birch plywood in DFW?

Hi all, I’m looking to get into more woodworking projects, and I was looking to pick up some quality plywood. If you ask Adam Savage and lots of other YouTube makers, apparently Arctic Plywood is the way to go. None of the big box stores seem to carry it, so I was curious where other makers have found it around DFW.

Thanks everyone!

Wood world off 75 or the plywood company in Fort worth

1 Like

Dakota hardwood in dallas. They have 1/4" baltic birch in 5x5 for $11 and 5x10 sheets. Thicker sizes are only a bit more expensive.

They don’t cut tho so you’ll need to have a way to transport that large

1 Like

Dimensions? 5’x5’? 5’x10’?

Updated to see your edit. Thanks.

Central Hardwoods on Northwest Highway sells Baltic Birch in 5x5 sheets. They might have 5x10 and 4x8 but I haven’t asked. What they sell is BB/BB (quad-B), which means football-shaped patches can appear on either or both sides of a piece. For many things I find them easy to work around.

For smaller projects, Rockler sells 12x30, 24x30 and 30x60 sheets in 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4. It’s pricier but prices drop by nearly half during sales that seem to happen every couple of months.

Here is a list of suppliers

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Wood_Suppliers

2 Likes

You can get Baltic (aka Russian) Birch at these among others:
Plywood Company of Fort Worth (who even have a priced web listing at plywoodcompany.com)
Central Hardwoods (often best price for BB/BB grade)
Dakota Hardwoods probably has it and they do sell ApplePly which is similar construction

Dakota will deliver for free on orders of over $300.

3/4" 4x8 was pushing $50 a few months ago. 5x5 1/2" (they didn’t have any 4x8) was ~$20.

I saw this in my email today from Rockler.

1 Like

I picked up some of the Baltic birch on Tuesday at the store on North Coit in Richardson. They had a decent amount in stock. I like the 1/2" x 30" x 60" because they are more transportable for me and the $20 sale price seems reasonable. (I also like the 3/4 Ambrosia Maple deal for $4 a board foot although it had been pretty picked over.)

@Team_Ceramics Baltic birch was one of the items the committee discussed as a good table top for clay. Maybe we should think about some for our work tables.

1 Like

We noticed that there was wood under those concrete wedging tables, so we moved the concrete to the other glossy work table since no one liked working off of it. Are there other tables that need wood?

Picked up some of the 1/2" 30x60 sheets today. They had about 25-30 left at the time.

Dakota, Wood World, Woodcraft, and Rockler used to give a discount to member when you told them you were with Dallas Makerspace, and may still.

Hardwood Lumber will cut the plywood down for you at $5 a cut, and do it then. so if 5’ is too wide… They will also let you look at all the wood they carry and pick your piece.
Central wants a day’s notice to cut and charge $6.50 a cut
Dakota does not have a panel saw.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info Was trying to remember which place let you look at the wood.

1 Like

My thought was that if we placed pieces of this on the wood table top then we would be protecting the table from warping or damage. It would ensure we don’t have yo repair the whole table in the future. Just my 2cents.

not sure if you are aware, but DMS members get 10% off at Rockler and it generally can be stacked with other discounts. I pay for my membership with discounts on stuff I probably don’t need.

2 Likes

Rockler is the best place to go for Baltic Birch. They usually carry a very large selection in stock and they often run sales. Theirs is Russian made B/BB or BB/BB grade. In other words, it is the top quality stuff.

A strong advantage of Rockler, Woodcraft, and Woodworld is they are open on weekends. Drawback is usually price.

Hardwood Lumber Company is open on Sat mornings. “Sometimes”. Central and Dakota are closed.

1 Like

You can also send me a message with how much and what thickness you want. We are moving, so all the stores of nifty plywood must go.

2 Likes