Where to find old telephone poles

Does anyone know where I might look for discarded telephone poles?
I have a project I’d like to use them for. Thanks, gang!

Years ago I talked to the power company, but that was a small REA

1 Like

What is the project? Also, I’m fairly positive that those would not be allowed in the woodshop. LOL

2 Likes

They tell you anything that might be helpful?

I’d like to carve them into some simple (extremely) rustic chairs. Might be able to just use a chainsaw and a planer. It’s possible I could do it somewhere other than at DMS if I need to…

1 Like

Keep in mind that there are soaked in creosote. There are quite a few people who have reactions to it. I think it also can cause problems with your respiratory system if your not careful.

5 Likes

Probably won’t work for you… and wouldn’t be able to use the freestanding tools in the woodshop.

2 Likes

And likely at least CA pressure treated, or if old enough CCA pressure treated. Though some poles have other treatments.

1 Like

That’s a good point. Maybe I should be looking for trunk sections…

There’s a place in Van Alstyne that has them for free. I wouldn’t use them for something you’re going to sit in though.

3 Likes

Just didn’t want you to find out the hard way

3 Likes

I know we had a power carver (hand held) thing with some bits/blades a while back in wood shop. Can’t say as I’ve seen it or thought about it in several years, though.

1 Like

Hmm. Might be good to know about for future reference. Do you remember what the place is called?

Hardin Sawmill in Sanger processes old telephone poles. They cut it into planks. They might sell you a telephone pole or scrap pieces.

Telephone poles are treated with creosote, pcp, arsnic, and other fun chemicals.
See https://www.beyondpesticides.org/assets/media/documents/wood/resources/Fact%20Sheet%20Revised%20Treated%20Wood%202-21-03.pdf

The wood shop rules do not specifically call out a ban on old telephone poles. However old telephone poles would fall under the ban on reclaimed wood. So not allowed in the woodshop. Technically, new telephone poles would be allowed (as long as they are not “pressure treated”). So creosote or pcp soaked new telephone poles would be allowed per current rules.

The chemicals are nasty. The potential for metal in the wood is high. Please don’t bring into the woodshop. If you do, please let me know so I can avoid the woodshop for a few days.

1 Like

While not a lawyer and don’t want to be one [or create rules that would require a lawyer or software developer to interpret], I would say that “creosote or pcp soaked new telephone poles” fall under the “pressure treated” and “no sap” categories.

2 Likes

When I wanted a 6 foot piece of 10" Bois d’arc trunk to mount an anvil on in my backyard, I contacted a place that sold cut wood out on Garland Road near Loop 12/Buckner. They contacted me soonafter and said they had something, so I drove out; they had a longer piece, cut it to length where I wanted, and loaded it up for me. I thought the charge was reasonable, don’t remember exactly since it was 2008, but about $30, I think. My forge site

1 Like

As we were driving out Friday, there was a big pile of used railroad ties by the tracks at Luna and Beltline - NW corner.

1 Like

Drove by this place today in far north Fort Worth. Might be an option

2 Likes

I’ve been there. Didn’t see any telephone poles, but they did have tree trunks stripped of bark and about 13" diameter for $20/ft.

I used to drive past Hicks Post Company in Alto when the folks lived in East Texas more than a decade ago.