Where to buy spalted maple in dfw

Does anyone know where you can purchase spalted maple in DFW? If not in Dallas has anyone had success ordering online?

@Lloyd_Plum might have some?

Also, there is a guy out in Union Valley who deals that probably has some. Too far?

1 Like

It would help if you gave us an idea what you wanted it for - scale of project. Are you lining a walk in closet? Are you making a coffee table? Are you turning pens? Are you crafting wine bottle stoppers?

Everything maple I have is Silver Maple. I have some spalted slabs (like this one: http://www.planomill.com/slabs/img/label/silver_maple/SM_3_6.jpg) and a big chunk about 17" x 12" x 8" if you’re looking for turning stock.

1 Like

I am wanting to use it for a hanging tool cabinet as the 4 door panels 1/2 x 14 x 24.

As a last resort no . Does he have a website?

No website, he’s just a 70 yo retired fireman who’s part of the woodturning groups out that-a-way, but basically goes and fells/logs trees for fun :man_shrugging: (that’s how I met him). He’s got a “portable” bandsaw mill set-up on his large place, and slabs trees and makes turning blanks and whatever for a hobby, more or less. But he is up to the gills in almost every type of wood found in the North Texas area, one just has to dedicate a good chunk of a day to go out there. Let me know…

1 Like

Look for Northern Custom Hardwoods on Facebook. David Sinkola is the owner and I have purchased many slabs from him over a number of years including several spalted maples. Good wood, good prices. Located between Weatherford and Springtown.

1 Like

I’m interested, we just need to set a date.

If you’re making this a party, count me in, too!

I’m up for a trip too! Friday, Saturday, or Sunday are best for me.

lolol…no, sorry, no real plans for a “DMS party outing”; the “let me know” wasn’t really an offer as such. It was more indicating that if anyone (originally directed at Pat) wanted to get in touch with the guy, I’d check with him and either publish contact info here (if OK with him) or forward others’ to him (if he is more privacy-conscious). But after that folks would generally be on their own to get out there and back.

It was a nice thought, though…

edit: BTW, it’s actually Quinlan (a tad bit further east), not Union Valley.

Party pooper! :rofl:

Maybe see if he’d be up to a few of us going at once rather than separate trips for everyone.

1 Like