Where to buy loose opal in Dallas

I’m trying to find a place where I can I buy polished opal in-person. I see a lot of places to buy online, but I’d like to go to a store in the DFW area so I can see the stones before buying. Does anyone know of a good supplier for this?

Let me go ask over on the Jewelry Discord. Sue had to email me an invite, and it was NOT the same Discord # that’s on the cabinet.

Although, this is coming up:

@sroriginals usually has some spare tickets. If you buy from a dealer, chances are that they’ll mail you free tickets for the next show.

I usually try to keep to a strict budget when I go. Sometimes I can accomplish that by only taking the cash I want to spend. And then I’ll find something special, and out comes the debit card…

If you have a Texas Sales Tax number, bring your certificate thing. That lets you into the backroom where the bigger dealers are. Although (it’s been years since I went), the front room was undersold, so they had some of the dealers in the front room.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, sroriginals no longer gets free tickets, having not been in several years.

If you go, be cautious about the dealers in the front part, some are good, some are not. If you have a tax number and go in the back, there used to be an Australian opal dealer that was good. And I think it was Kamal that had some nice stones. Although, the last time I went, before the pandemic, the dealers room was very sparse.

Also check for the Arlington Gem show, I think in June, I think in Grapevine. Also the AKS show in early August in Grapevine. One of the dealers that sometimes comes to the AKS show is the Unconventional Lapidarist. I can’t find his card right now, but he has good stuff and does mail order, although mail is not the best way to buy opals. Might also ask Ro-A Beads, 832.859.3758, [email protected], PO box 16992, Sugarland, TX 77496. He has nice stuff.

A lot of what is on the market right now is Ethiopian opal, slightly yellowish with red and green fire usually. Not seeing much Australian, occasionally some Mexican, usually no fire but pretty oranges. Also Peruvian, in pink or aqua, but it has no fire.

If you are interested in small to very small (4mm to 6x8mm), low quality white opal, I have some for cheap. Let me know.
Sue

Don’t want to highjack the thread… but it would be fun to do this in the Science Committee

2 Likes

You may want to check natures gallery in downtown Carrollton. They sometimes have good loose stones.

Also we have some common open that you can practice with in the lapidary area. It’s not great stuff but just donate a few dollars if you use some

There is a boulder open there as well, we are saving that to have it professionally cut, so don’t use that one.

I’d forgotten Rock Barrell – over by the TI plant in Richardson. I’m not sure what they might have for opals, but you could take a look at their website.

https://www.rockbarrell.com/

3 Likes

Thanks for all of the responses. I’ll take a look at the shops mentioned and I’ll be sure to check out the shows mentioned as well!

I went to the international gem and jewelry show. It was a lot of fun! We found a couple of people selling opal, most of them were selling Ethiopian opal. There was one booth selling Australian opal and we picked up these two stones. Thanks for the tip!

5 Likes