When is next metal shop basics class

Hi all,

I’m new to the makerspace and have already taken the woodshop basics class to use the wood tools but I also am super interested in using the tools in the metal shop. Is there a way to request a class or something like that? Otherwise I’ll just keep checking the event calendar and wait until I see one posted.

Thanks!

I don’t know if there is a metal shop basics class in general. The tools in there are covered by a series of different classes. The welding equipment is covered by a welding safety class and separate classes for MIG, TIG and stick. The CNC plasma cutter is a class on its own. There’s a class for the induction forge, but I and anyone else on the blacksmithing team can show you how to use it. The KMG belt sander requires training, but blacksmithing is still discussing how to do a class for that. The other grinders and hand tools don’t require a class as far as I’m aware.

1 Like

Ok well all I really want to do is cut out some knife blanks and then shape them so the bandsaw doesn’t require training so I think I really just need that one. I’ll keep an eye out for the KMG sander.

Thanks a bunch for the info!

1 Like

I’m doing a class on the 21st with the induction forge and the KMG grinder. Still a couple spots left!

1 Like

Just signed up! thanks!

PSA: Do not use hardened or tool steel on any metal working band saws. It will ruin a $70 blades is seconds. Use the CNC or Hand-held plasma cutters, or abrasive saw to get close to shape and then finish to size through other means.

Thanks

Hi Photomancer,

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely stay away from that with my intended project.

I just submitted two PlasmaCAM classes that will hit the Event Calendar Thursday evening.

Friday - March 23 - 11AM - 2PM
Wednesday - March 28 - 7PM - 10PM

fyi: @jast

2 Likes

I’ll keep an eye out for that and sign up asap. Thanks everyone for all of the help!

1 Like