What's your favorite place to buy metal?

I’m new to buying material in the DFW area and am looking to buy some basic sheet metal for projects. Where do you tend to buy your material and why? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a gander on the wiki:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Metal_Suppliers

3 Likes

@Mrholthaus is the master of getting cheap metal. There’s a huge variance in how much you pay between the retail-focused spots, the bigger wholesale places, and if you can find what you need at scrap price.

Coremark has a good selection and good prices but it’s in Fort Worth. Also their prices are online which is nice for checking other spots to see if they’re in market.

King Architectural is right by my house and it’s cheaper but doesn’t always have what I’m looking for.

3 Likes

Jason is correct. Cold rolled 16-20 gauge sheet metal is around $100 a sheet for a 4x8ft. The cost of smaller pieces varies greatly. Metal supermarkets(the Dallas location) has good cash deals for drops if they have them. Metals 4U charges full price for drops so I don’t buy steel there.

3 Likes

Metal Supermarkets (Plano location) also charges full price for drops.

1 Like

As does Lewisville.

1 Like

CDC Surplus Products Mechanical surplus: Cut-offs, hard plastics, aluminum, steel, various metals in smaller sizes. Drill bits, mill tooling, hand tools, high strength nuts and bolts. Note: This is manufacturing surplus so stock changes often. If you see it, buy it, it may not be there the next time.

940 E Beltline Rd, Ste 172
Richardson, TX 75081
(Mid-way between Greenville and Plano Road)
Open Tue - Fri, 10AM - 6PM,
Saturday 10AM–3PM
Sunday-Monday Closed

No Credit Cards accepted!

972-918-9886

2 Likes

Coremark is probably my favorite. Their drops aren’t all that great right now but they still have good pricing.

2 Likes