What would you prefer for a Inkle Weaving class?

Should we drag out the enormous inkle loom, and everybody gets to string some warp, and then we all get to weave a little? Or do I need to check on the number of small inkle looms, and everybody will work on their own?

2 Likes

This forces me to remember Cairenn and Walter…

Thank you for putting an inkle class together, regardless of the selections made here!

4 Likes

Individual one would be cute

How’s your attention span? Generally speaking, you can’t finish the small one in one class session. I mean, I’ve got a plan to make it quicker, but it’s still likely to take 2 sessions to finish.

How long are you thinking? Depending on the width of the belt and length I think a couple hrs 3 tops would be enough time to finish. But I have experience on an inkle loom.

1 Like

I think there’s 4 or 5 individual ones if everyone wants their own. Or have 2 per loom, each warps half, weaves half.

Maybe instead of a full adult size belt, you could have them do a bracelet so its a little faster (60 - 90 minutes instead of 3 -4 hours) and include basic finishing instructions?

2 Likes

Great suggestion!

Or a bookmark … the benefit of which is that you could fringe one or both ends.

Actually, it’ll probably come closer to the bookmark. The looms we have are a wonky size. If we don’t use the pegs to lengthen the warp, it will still be longish. At least, we’ll be wasting less thread. One of my last students stopped at a keychain fob length from frustration.

I’m not convinced that one gets a full belt out of the looms we have. And Jocelyn’s time estimate may be for a much, much smaller loom than ours.