What is your weakness?

Given that we can’t be at the space to work on stuff, there is no reason we cant still try to work on skills.

One of my weaknesses is talking to people about money. Not things like committee balances or the costs of items to say committee members. More along the line of what things cost with a customer.

One of my weaknesses used to be talking to people & larger groups of people. I’m not where I want to be yet but I’m making progress.

To make yourself grow, you need to get out of your comfort zone. This is one of the things I have learned over the years doing what I do for a living. Ive been thrown into the proverbial fire to sink or swim. That tends to develop your skills as a problem solver in a stressful situation.

Also I have been yelled at, screamed at & de-escalate some customers who seemed bound to want to get into a physical altercation. Not sure how I take care of that part short of I don’t take things personally. That person could be in a bad situation themselves, under fire from their boss or customer as well. Sometimes they are just having a bad day.

So I ask, How can we collectively help each other be better at our weaknesses?

2 Likes

I like this! Self improvement is a lifelong endeavor.

I am more reactive than I want to be. Earlier today my dog went OFF out of nowhere because there were people outside the balcony. It’s something we have been trying to train out of him and it freaked me out to the point that I yelled at him pretty loudly…which is entirely unproductive and very unlike me, but I did it as a quick reaction rather than taking a second to pause.

That’s an extreme case, but I want to work on learning to pause before I react to things- good and bad.

If you’re talking presentation skills and speaking to large groups, I can help you with that. I’ve done audiences of up to 350 people. :slight_smile:

My weakness is stupidity. I’m drawn to commenting or trying to fix it like a moth to a light. I’m getting better at just scrolling on by online or just walking away from it in person, but it still just bugs me to the core.

I’ve learned from all my customer dealings over the years to just let them vent. Once they get that out of their system they generally calm down and can be reasoned with. I had an old manager at Radio Shack that always said "show me an upset customer and I’ll make him a customer for life. One day, he showed how… we had a customer who was upset with a phone that was sent into repair 3 times. He took the phone and said “follow me” to the customer. They walked into the back room of the store and my manager threw the phone as hard as he could against the steel back door of the store, shattering it into pieces. He picked a new one up off the shelf, handed it to the guy and said “I’m not going to lose you as a customer over a phone that may have cost me $30.”

1 Like

Oh Raymond … never heard it put just that way, but we may have some DNA in common.

I’d love to improve my public speaking skills. It frankly terrifies me but I’ve gotten somewhat better at it by talking myself into not giving a shit. I mean that sort of seriously.

What I mean is that it seems to me that it’s pretty easy to fool people into thinking that I’m more confident than I really am.

1 Like

Well when we reopen, we can try to spin up the toastmasters again. I joined at work, won a club contest, then area, didnt take top2 at district so that path is done for now.

2 Likes

Another great thread.
Weakness: thinking I am smarter than I am!