What happened to the heat press?

Just came in and the heat press was unplugged, I plugged it in and flipped the switch but it’s not turning on. I tried another outlet but it still didn’t work. Is there some kind of reset button? Or is it broken??

please unplug it immediately.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/heat-press-smoke-from-control-panel-06-11-2021/81547

@MatnMichael @CaryF300

1 Like

Thank you. I had looked for a post about it but didn’t see that one

2 Likes

I left a note on it so that nobody else would plug it in

6 Likes

oops, meant to post this here: hobby grade X in 1 presses are currently $200 to $500 off on Walmart.com … Not saying get one, but they do have digital temperature and timers

1 Like

@CaryF300 – Would a 12x15 press be good enough? There’s one on sale for $149.99 at Doug’s Walmart link. Well, you have to type in heat press, but would that one be enough?

I would encourage that we buy non hobby equipment. A ton of people use that machine. Lets not cheap out on this.

6 Likes

Agreed.

I’ll also go throw a tagout on it.

No. We already have one that size. It is very limiting. I think this one can be repaired, but haven’t had a chance to get in to look at it. I’m going to try for this weekend.

4 Likes

Seconded on getting a commercial grade press if the current one is not repairable. As stated above, it gets a lot of use for both dye sublimation and HTV applications from many members that (IMO) justify the additional expenses for the additional quality and durability of the higher grade equipment.

6 Likes

If the option is to purchase a new press, please, nothing smaller than the press that is being replaced. Some of us need the entire surface to press bigger items.

2 Likes

Is this somewhere in the space available for use while the other is repaired? I don’t recall ever seeing a second press

There are a base and heating element that go on the press that currently has the hat press setup. The manual is on the wiki: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Dye_Sublimation#JTrans_8-in-1_11_x_15.22_Heat_Press

2 Likes

Paul,

You would know (I don’t do dye sub) but can a “Seal 210” heat press be used for Dye Sub?

Thanks!

Looks like it only gets up to 300 degrees, which isn’t enough for dye sub, unfortunately.

Good to know!
Thanks!

Is it working now?

Parts have been acquired, or are in the process of being acquired. So – soon, but not now.

** edit – in the thread where Cary reported the original issue, he says he’s fixing it tonight.

Got a look at the removed parts, and from the looks of what was left I’d make an educated guess: The fault was caused by repeated hard yanks on the electrical cord locking plug when the press was moved while still being plugged in. The repeated stresses eventually broke the plug and thus caused a short which let out the magic smoke signals. Again, just a guess, but seems (IMO) reasonable explanation for the damage seen.

1 Like

I would agree with this assessment based on the damage I saw. The new power cord will NOT be a locking cord, but still, unplugging the cord before moving the press is the best option.