What Classes Would You Like to See in Digital Media?

You guys should try Premier Rush.
It’s the easiest program I think most people will have ever used & still has the power of Premier Under the Hood

2 Likes

I plan on bringing this class back. It’s really how to work with vector and vectorize images. I’m adding more concrete exercises so people can focus on the techniques taught and not have to think about what to make.

For Fusion 360, I’m developing a two day boot camp specially for woodworkers, but applicable to many other fields. It starts from scratch with best practices design concept, navigating Fusion, the 2d sketch world, then introducing tools and concepts with practical models. End result would be drawings for a cut list. The part I am on not in development is scope. How much is practical to teach in just 2 days, balanced with lots of lab time for hands on learning.

As for the great with list, a large handicap is instructors are only compensated for 3 classes a month. So we need to find alternative funding (like charging students for classes) in a manner acceptable to everyone. A few brave teachers are using eventbrite or collecting at the door. All the prices are an incredible discount to the real world. Example: I don’t think Woodcraft has a class for less than $100. Compareable Fusion 360 classes start at $500 a day.

2 Likes

It’s funny that three people named Ben are capable of teaching Blender. The two long hairs would be my choice.

I’m glad to see @benhubel stepping up.

1 Like

15 posts were split to a new topic: Honorarium Discussion

Yes please, beginning from filming video to taking film through editing to final product. Would like to learn all of it. Want to do some Youtube vidoes, some promotional vidoes etc. Yes possibly adding text, logo, etc. into it. I don’t think I really need the fancy movie effects but of course would love to learn.

Thanks

Barbara

2 Likes

Yes the VR works better than ever and we have 700+ titles from viveport monthly subscription. Think like Spotify but for VR. There’s also a few perpetual loaned titles in steam by people.

There’s programs to design parametric models, mesh model sculpting or just free hand paint and wave your hands around. Think VR fusion/inventor/solid works for Cad, toolpaths and robotics for cam, blender and paint. They all save the models in formats like stl local or google drive where you can then CNC, laser or 3D print what you make. All of these topics are in the DM101 class and is designed to point you in the right direction. To create anything digitally in the building with an emphasis on every cnc machine in the building since we are heavy on the whole making things that are physically tangible around here. There’s a class tomorrow if you want to check it out. It starts with everything for a day 1 new member all the way up to showing a ton of stuff that Gorman might not even know.

Most of it will expire Feb 11th though and we don’t have the $13 to pay the monthly Viveport subscription.

It’s really a game changer in human to computer user input. We’ve been limited by a 1d click keyboard. 2d x and y mouse For over 50 years we’ve been limited by this in how we can get the ideas in our head into a computer. but now we have dual 6DoF controllers.

2 Likes

Re Classes For Digital Media:

I am interested in learning film, video, sound, podcasting, how to take decent pictures of my sculpture and photoshop background if needed. Unlike many here, my skills are Very beginner. Maybe there are enough uber beginners to fill a class or ongoing class.

(Personal) Goals:

• Learn how to make a sound track that can be part of a 3D installation (you hear ‘sounds’ talking etc while you are viewing or walking among the installation pieces).
  • Learn how to make a film or video to either record a performance artwork, or to become a part of an installation.

Another Ask:
Is there an area of DMS set up or set aside for artists to photograph their work? A place to hang a simple backdrop, have lighting, and have a pedestal etc to put a sculpture on to photograph it?

Is this in the auspices of Digital Media, or another committee/department?

2 Likes

It’s on the to-do list.

1 Like

Re setting up to photo in DMS

As mentioned, a backdrop is being worked on.

Short version:

That being said, generally if you have something you want to work on, personal project of whatever sort…you can just pick an empty room and have at it as long as doesn’t interfere with class. Also someone just using a piece of room like you intend, just ask and they probably won’t care

Longer bits:

Caveat being that classes have precedence. So it’s a good idea to check calendar and see if a class is scheduled that may overlap your plans. You’ll need to clear out or check with instructor if a class.

Dedicated classrooms, always check if might conflict with class. Don’t forget to allow for instructor setup time.

Some rooms (CA) you can be doing your thing in an area of the classroom where it won’t interfere. The class will have precedence on their intended area, but other parts of room, you can use if available. There are frequently folks having class in one part and random whatever in other half.

For dedicated rooms (ie purple, interactive, etc) I’ve taught classes before where I didn’t mind someone continuing to work quietly in a corner if it’s not distracting. I’ve done that quite a few times. For me, quiet photography in the corner would be fine. Partly depends on how much of the room the class will use. Others maybe not, so check.

On the flip side, I’ve taught classes where they were spread out on the table we needed for class. And sure, I’m not shy about asking them to relocate, and they did. But it took so long for them to gather up that it greatly impacted my setup time I had arrived early for, made me quietly frazzled trying to rush setup at that point (very unpleasant) and then start class a little late and feeling less prepared. I’ve had that happen at least twice and it’s really aggravating. Now I arrive earlier than I really need to (annoying but necessary) just in case I need to help someone move their stuff elsewhere so I can prep for my class in a non-rushed timeframe

My personal issue, dunno about it as a rule:

The other caveat that I doubt is relevant to you here, really strong smelling chemicals, please do out in the larger warehouse. There have been a couple of times I was there in the front area classroom working on something and had to pack up to leave because someone broke out chemicals in that front classrooms area that should have been back in the warehouse with much more space to dissipate and already a lot of stronger things there. That stuff travels and for chemical sensitive folks (me, certain things affect my breathing) it’s terrible. I have to just quietly pack up and leave.

Fwiw, I do go in the warehouse, but I’m prepared on any trip to not be able to stay depending on what’s happening. It’s cool. That stuff has to happen somewhere. But please not the front rooms. There’s space for that kind of thing out in the warehouse. (And since you’re new, there’s an overall rule about no spray cans, stuff like paint etc inside. Fire marshal thing.)

3 Likes

We have all the stuff to take product photography. Lights, cameras, stands, backdrops and different material backgrounds. It’s just not permanently setup yet.

The new GoPros are perfect for filming performances and include image stabilization and easy edit software

2 Likes

Thank you! Lots of good information here for folks like me who are new to DMS! Thank you for taking the time to write and share this.

2 Likes

Can a few items be used until the time Digital Media has a permanent set up location?

I may need a white/light gray fabric background (paper would be fine too), maybe a couple lights, and a stand. I have a show entry deadline of Feb 14, which means the shoot would have to take place before that. I have the photographer (she has her own camera/tripod etc).

I understand that this is My deadline, and in no way is something that Digital Media has to provide a backdrop for, or make any allowances for to meet the deadline. Just asking in case I am actually ready to shoot, if I could make arrangements to borrow and carefully use a few things.

** just saw the Digital Media Intro Class On Calendar. I will sign up, learn about what is offered in this department, and discuss ^^^ above with the teacher.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to subtract interest in classes at the space, but here are a couple of great Youtube Blender videos:

Most, if not all of the Blender books I’ve tried start out with how to arrange and modify the Blender screen. Why in the world would I want to learn that first when I don’t know what the screens do? Then when I had suffered through that I get lost because I can’t find the button they are telling me to push.

These videos start by doing and show you the exact button.

5 Likes

Yes. Have you even looked inside digital media to see what’s in there? We have both white and gray. With that being said anyone in the space is welcome to use the stuff in there just keep it in the building. All the tools are owned by the membership and you’re a member.

1 Like

A lot of classes can become stale. I might not want to take another “Introduction to Blender” class for the 12th time. But I would take a class called “Make your own video game character using Blender”… and I might take it again if it were retitled and repurposed for VR as “Make your own 3D avatar in Blender”. And then again as “Make your own Minecraft skin in Blender.” Each of these classes might teach similar skills. They just have a different focus. And for us casual beginner 3D artists that don’t want to take the same classes over and over again, the variations keep me from becoming bored with the material while also giving me a different perspective on how to apply the same material. This helps keep the same stale content easy to repackage as a teacher, and fresh to consume for the target audience.

3 Likes

She’s new and still familiarizing with rules on usage. So even if a big pile of shiny toys, it can be hard for a new person to discern what is ok to just grab and use

2 Likes

Thank you! I am transitioning from a community college arts program where it is expressly forbidden to be in another classroom other than the class you are registered for, and you certainly can’t touch, examine classroom equip or materials, or use any. Which is why I am at DMS, so I can really explore mixed media work :))

I also didn’t know that DMS members could ‘poke around in’ other areas other than the ones that a member has taken an intro class in. So it would never occur to me to look in DM, look in any (unlocked) closets, drawers, corners etc for backdrops etc :))

I know now that it is okay :)))
It may take some time. I’m a bit institutionalized :))

3 Likes

I would love some newbie software classes.
First, getting things ready for lasering. Raster, converting to vector, editing. Most of my wonderful laser classes have been focused on the machine, and the instructor does a lot of the computer work. I fully admit I should be coming back (or staying late) to practice practice practice after the classes so I don’t forget what I’ve learned.

Second, 3d printing is a nightmare for me because I suck at the software. I don’t know enough to be able to muddle through the buttons.

The boot camp idea sounds lovely

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Class Posted: Intro to VFX - Motion Tracking in Blender

that is stunning