What Classes Would You Like to See in Digital Media?

Not that I have a dog in this fight, but I can envision a ton of 101 classes for Digital Media. I know very little about photography and videography, but would totally be interested in more beginner friendly offerings.

Just off the top of my head, things I would absolutely take.

Photoshop basics
How to use a lightbox 101
How to setup, operate, and download data from one of our cameras (this is 2 classes, one for photo, one for video)
Go Pro 101- how they operate and tips on getting good shots.

And if you do decide to teach some of these, Pimp them on Talk to generate more interest.

9 Likes

Historically many Fusion360 classes were held as well. Lighting classes, as well as how to do headshots. Chroma key can be combined with photoshop to demonstrate how to edit yourself into vacation or historical photos.

5 Likes

Bother Ben about teaching blender… He keeps saying he is considering it. So give him that push.

Also why don’t you have a professional head shot day to generate some DM interest? Set up a period of a few hours and take professional headshots for people and make it easy for people to donate to the DM committee, as a thank you?

6 Likes

Yes, I have plans for teaching classes on many different software packages. I just need to pull the trigger and get them posted.

2 Likes

Stalker, I didn’t even tag you :joy:

Blender would be an excellent class. Just the basics for now, but could expand into multiple committees. Blender Design > 3D castable resin print > jewelry metal cast.

3 Likes

Agreed…I would be very interested in a class going over the basics of photography for shooting products. I have tried to learn on my own but I’m sure I would get more out of someone walking me through the process and showing me what I’m doing wrong or how I could do things better.

4 Likes

Guys were teaching illustrator, photo & premier classes up to averaging 3 a week for a short time but they weren’t making so I believe they just stopped and kinf of went to adhoc for people seeking

3 Likes

I would be interested in a product photography class.

2 Likes

When did you do a head shot day? I never saw or heard about it, I probably would have showed up if I knew about it and I was free.

If you werent making honorarium numbers you should just teach that particular class less frequently, and add in new ones.

I would like it if there was an inkscape where you have a picture that everyone follows along to, and goes through some of the functionality. I do much better if I am shown via a tasks than just shown the individual buttons and their function. I have been really wanting to learn some inkscape so I can have personal stuff to put on the lasers. (I am personally not interested in illustrator because I am cheap and have the free stuff at home).

3 Likes

@itsazero taught something like 4-6 vector classes like illustrator, inkscape & specifically how to use Illustrator for the Vinyl Cutter. But because of honorariums and classes not making he also stop.

Robert stopped Premier & camera class I believe due to honorarium and life in general

I dont remember the days but Marcel Rodriguez is a full time professional head shot photographer and did it at least 3 times & I think. Even going as far as walking around trying to gather people around the space from commons and lobby.

He wanted to do it for free for everyone just whenever cuz he enjoyed it. Went to tanners and spent $10 in connectors and parts to solder and fix our LED lights. But he quit and dropped his membership because we couldn’t get backdrop and lighting. He offered to donate a bunch of lighting and also would like to teach classes.

I could call and get him back in probably but not without properly hanging stuff

He works wonders with the camera. I mean just look at me

We really did gather a bunch of teachers for respective areas but most classes wont make at the space in its current environment. Its not just lack of classes its lack of people taking classes as well.

3 Likes

You put a lot of effort into getting some Powermill licenses. I think that would be a good class

Yeah it’s been a lot of work.
I don’t feel like I’m at a level to actually teach it yet.
More like stumble through.

Just got word yesterday that the robot arm is up and running my programs now.
But its offsite

1 Like

Since this is now titled what classes would you like to see:

Fusion360: Basics - Intro class
Fusion360: Sketch - Focus on creating sketches including parameters
Fusion360: Bringing it together - Components, Bodies, and assemblies
Fusion360: Designing flat pack furniture for Multicam router.
Fusion360: Turning a 9 sided bowl - Kee’s class that covered toolpaths and gcode for Multicam with registration to flip a piece.

Inkscape: Basics - Intro
Inkscape: Paths - Designing for CNC machines around DMS
Inkscape: Trace - Taking raster images and prepping for laser.

Photography: Basics - Get checked out on DMS Cameras
Photography: Lighting - Basic concepts and setups for both products and headshots
Photography: Dial M for Manual - Covering how to get a good photo off automatic mode. ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed
Photography: Chroma Key - how/why and how to seamlessly crop into another photo.

Photoshop: Basics - Intro
Photoshop: Photo repair - Basic repair procedures to revitalize old cherished photos and tweak new ones.

Video: Basics - Intro to Premiere Pro
Video: Vacation video - How to take your own videos and splice them together into a project.
Video: Chroma key - How to shoot Chroma key and edit it.
Video: Welcome to Hollywood - Intro to After Effects

Audio: Can you hear me now? - Intro to audio equipment at DMS
Audio: Speaking - Podcasts, voiceovers, audio books. How to record and basic tweaks with Adobe Audition
Audio: Close your eyes - Layering multiple tracks for audio.

Do we still have working VR headsets? If so, that’s an Intro class as well as opportunity to design virtually and 3D print.

6 Likes

For me a very basic class that I can take video I shoot, be able to cut and splice, and add. Nothing fancy to start: but this would making short training videos. Call it Noob Video 001. from that learn more advanced things.

Just being able to edit video enough to cut a splice would be great and put in a usable format.

3 Likes

Yes please to beginner friendly classes!
(or to more of them)
Thank you!

2 Likes

Yes beginners use of the cameras, product photography would all be helpful.

1 Like

Will you by chance do any video editing classes? Teach the software required for that?

1 Like

I didn’t yet have plans to do so, but I could definitely write up a class on that. Are you looking for basic editing (joining clips into a longer video), motion graphics (slightly more advanced text and logo animation stuff), or compositing (fancy movie effects and such)?

2 Likes

Personally I would be interested in a basic filming and editing. It would be great to be able to make simple build videos that don’t look like a child made them

2 Likes