What book would be good for the amature radio class

As i go forward into RF and attempt to take the class in Amateur radio
What book would be good for the class?

1 Like

Suggest that you stop by the Ham Radio Outlet Store which is located in Plano. From Center Expressway take the Plano Parkway exit heading East about 1/4 of a mile. Fry’s Electronics is across the street. All of the sales people at the store are fellow Ham Radio operators and can answer all your questions. They also have a very good stock of all the Ham Radio books. Just explain that you are new at this and need some assistance. They will bend over backwards to help you out.

Richard Meyer, AG5OB

2 Likes

The one above is the ARRL book. It is good. Here are two other books that I recommend for my class:

The second book also has a companion book for math, which can be helpful for the exam.

James (KK5Y)

1 Like

I realize that the test has changed since then, but about 5 years ago I passed the exam with a perfect score by using Anki exclusively. The book I ordered came shrink-wrapped, didn’t even open it and ended up returning it after the test. Wake up every morning and do 75 with Anki and you’ll pass.

1 Like

Here is the link to Anki:

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2113417210

This is a reasonable resources if you are looking to pass the test. The same is true with the Gordon West book. However, the ARRL and Burnette books are better for really learning and understanding the material.

2 Likes

Point taken. And to be sure, Anki was just to pass the test. I didn’t want to be a technician, I just wanted to fool around with radios :laughing:

Odd i want to pass the test. I can not afford the radios as i am in between jobs. I want work with people in electronics maybe engineering something in radio frequency.

Well, you can both pass the test and get a basic Baofeng radio on Amazon for not a lot of money ($25). Its not the best radio in the world but more than enough to get you over “mic fright” and talking with others in a licensed manner.

The Makerspace + Tanner has enough cheap parts on hand to make a HF (shortwave) transmitter/receiver for less than $20. Today, my 9 and 15 year olds both made a small, low power, transmitter for less than $4. At tonight’s class, I will build another one as a demo.

(The catch is that it is CW/morse code only and requires patience to use.) :slight_smile: