Wet palette question

Is anyone using a wet palette for extending/preserving acrylic paints? There are so many choices that I’m at a loss.

All suggestions, pointers, URL links are appreciated. TIA.

This is what I use. I like the pods since I mix colors. I want to make sure I have plenty of paint when mixed when I come back to my project.

1 Like

Can you remove the cups individually to wash them?

Have you tried Golden Open Slow Drying Acrylic Paints. These were required in my painting course at Dallas College. They even have an extended working time on the canvas acting more like oil paints. GOLDEN Open Acrylic Paints | Jerry's Artarama

I used these as a pallet to keep the paints wet. Sometimes I would keep a moist paper towel in them. https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/food-storage/lustroware-shallow-food-keeper/12d?productId=10033443

1 Like

I paint 40k
I use a wet pallette.
I use a tupperware with an antimicrobial sponge cut to fit inside it, and a piece of kitchen parchment paper cut to fit on the surface of the sponge.
It extends the life of the paints nicely.

I also use FW acrylic inks because I like to build up translucent wash layers.

5 Likes

I paint miniature figures and use this one from Redgrass creative:

I don’t need a lot of paint at one time so this one works great for me, but they do make a larger one if you need more space. The only drawback is that they are a UK company (Switzerland I think) and you have to wait a good long while for shipping (a few weeks if I remember, but maybe it’s better now). On the plus side it had a lid that fits great so you can even walk away. And they do offer cups that just attach to the pallet in different place - I use the 5 cup New Wavy V2 and like it a lot.

But making your own or getting one locally may be the best way to find out if it will work for your needs. Be sure to let us know what you end up with. Best of luck! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@John_Marlow Not sure if you got your answer, but here is the one I have that I use with Reaper paints from Reaper in Denton. Works good!

Amazon.com: Masterson Sta-Wet Paint Palette with Airtight Lid, Keeps Wet Paint Fresh for Days, Paint Supplies, Paint Tray Palette, Paint Holder, with 30 Acrylic Palette Paper and Number 1 in Service Tissue Pack

1 Like

I’ve used a homemade one with good results:

• very damp, but not dripping paper towel on bottom
  • 2 layers of parchment paper on top
  • paint on the parchment paper
  • stored in a sealable plastic tub (mine used to have lunch meat in it).

Paints easily keep a week. You might need to replace or remoisten the paper towel if much longer.

Mold can be an issue, but typically not until weeks-long storage or longer.

2 Likes