West Texas Solar Eclipse roadtrip Saturday Oct 14

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/20193

Lets talk about the next solar eclipse and see who wants to take a one day roadtrip to see it. It’s about a 5 hour drive to get anywhere along the path. It goes through Midland/Odessa. A few months ago I found a website with a detailed path that showed some small towns SE of midland that might have some city parks and a small cafe but I haven’t run across that one again. Really anywhere between Midland and Hill Country would work but closer to an interstate might save drive time.

We flew to Portland and drove east a few years ago to see the full eclipse, it was really cool, the sun was the blackest black I think I’ve ever seen.

This says 91% of sun will be blocked so we will need welding hoods or special glasses, I’m planning on ordering some glasses for next springs full eclipse where Dallas is on the path.

1 Like

I took the day off and Midland/Odessa was high on the list of places to trek to in order to see it.

4 Likes

Oh that’s cool. I’ve been to San Angelo state park before, could take the Friday off and go camping then head to somewhere like Eldorado for the eclipse.

1 Like

So many static maps to ponder over. Or there’s this immensely more useful Google maps overlay.

1 Like

If you’re going to take Friday off, I would go to Lost Maples State Natural Area - it looks like it will be directly on the path for the optimal viewing. The only negative is it is roughly a 6 hour drive. But the area is absolutely beautiful.

Other options would be:

• San Angelo State Park [4.5hr drive] - optimal viewing @ Barnhart or Eldorado (~45 min)
  • Big Spring State Park [4.5hr drive] - optimal viewing between Midland & Odessa (~60 min)
  • Monahans Sandhills State Park [6hr] - optimal viewing between Midland & Odessa (~45 min)
  • South Llano River State Park [5hr] - optimal viewing down the road on US377 (~30 min)
  • Garner State Park [6hr] - optimal viewing at Lost Maples Natural Area (~35min)
  • Kickapoo Cavern State Park [6.5hr]- optimal viewing down the road on US377 (~60 min)

If you don’t care that you are in the optimal path, Three Rivers Foundation [3RF] is having a “Star Party” that evening - my guess is it will start soon enough to watch the eclipse and go into the night to view other stars. They have several telescopes onsite as well as people bringing their own - it is a lot of fun [and they have camping, RV spots, and some “cabins”].

There is also a “Star Party” in Midland at the Museum of the Southwest - https://www.museumsw.org/event-details/eclipse-day

3 Likes

I’ve got the Friday off so I’m amenable to some flavour of outing west of DFW.

1 Like

Done the drive to Midland/Odessa a few times with gear for an oil company video shoot. Kinda boring when you don’t have time to stop and look at the “nothingness”

Made the trip myself once. Thunderstorm that blew up around Odessa was the most interesting part of the trip.

2 Likes

My wife is out of town that weekend so I have pets to take care of. I’m probably making it a one day trip but might be able swing camping, we have one neighbor that we swap cat sitting with.

Excellent map!

I’d recommend getting the eclipse glasses made by Baader Observatory in Europe. Very high quality and clarity. Don’t trust your eyes with Chinese junk filter material.

Same (maybe especially) with filters made for binoculars or telescopes.

I also gather that welding glass of a given shade is also a good substitute.

Classic Tom, telling me about a beautiful place I could camp… that’s fully booked.

I got a site in San Angelo (River bend campsite), they still have ~20 sites left.

1 Like

Book it for the total eclipse on April 8, 2024… I think it’s supposed to go right over Lost Maples then too. An even better park would be Colorado Bend State Park… book the Cave Tour [it’s cheap and fun]. There are a ton of parks located in the hill country north & west of San Antonio/Austin that will work too [Garner, South Llano, Pedernales Falls, Meridian, or Dinosaur Valley to name a few].

You won’t be able to book it for a couple more months [11/8/23] - and it’s a Monday. But remember any weekend camping is worth turning into a long weekend of camping.

And yes, you can see it from your backyard too… but that’s not nearly as fun.

If camping isn’t your thing, take a long weekend in Fredricksburg. Tour the vineyards on the weekend, watch the eclipse Monday afternoon, and be home for dinner Monday night.

Or you could go crazy at Eagle Pass, TX - it looks like the whole town is out to celebrate: Eclipse

3 Likes

I’d like to point out and make sure that those who have never seen a total eclipse understand:

The difference between 99% and 100% is literally night and day. There is no comparison. If you’re in a spot where you’ll get 99%, it’ll still be daylight out but might seem kind of like early dusk. In a 100% location, it will be as dark as midnight, the birds will stop chirping, etc. It’s really mind blowing.

2 Likes

The October eclipse is a ring of fire so it won’t be nearly as spectacular as next April full eclipse

To add to Matt’s comment, for the October eclipse, maximum coverage of the Sun will only be ~90%.

is anyone willing to boot me a lift? I have driving phobia. was super disappointed when that last solar eclipse happened and I didnt find anyone to take me.

I’m not sure what my driving plans are at the moment but will tie that down mid week before the eclipse when there is a weather forecast. I’m probably bringing my mountain bike to explore the nearby area. At least one of my biking friends is interested.

I was looking on this site and ran across Stiles, Texas, a ghost town with the remains of an old courthouse, downside is its 1.5 hours from San Angelo state park where @Bizwacky is camping. But is in direct line so gets about a minute longer eclipse duration. Its at a higher elevation than most of that area so we might be able to see the shadow coming although with a partial eclipse not sure if you can see much shadow. USA - Mexico - 2023 October 14 Annular Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

Big lake is also pretty close to the centerline and it would have food and it is fairly high elevation.

I got a these in surprisingly short order:

• Note that minimum order is $35; buy two
  • The swap process is moderately tricky:
    • The directions on the site do work even if an illustration or few would be more intuitive
    • The mirror side of the glass filter is … up for debate. I determined that the side etched with the product ID is a tad shinier thus faced that out
  • Confirmed that they fit over my eyeglasses and are comfortable for looking at the sun with the separate shade 14 glass
  • Since one is not expecting to deal with weld splatter nor high-speed grinding detritus, removing the outer protective plastic lens is an option to cut down on reflections
1 Like