Welding rebar yard art

As they say, when life gives you lemons make lemonade. With the cold saw down and the teeth on blade of the horizontal bandsaw worn down, I’ve been unable to get clean cuts on square tube stock.
So, I’ve been having fun welding a rebar yard art cactus garden. So far I’ve planted a saguaro and barrel cactus. There is also a prickly pear waiting to be planted.

10 Likes

Bones, nice work. Out of curiousity, how thick is the rebar and how did you do your bends?

FYI the Cold Saw should be good.

Hey a_w
I’m using 3/8". I’ll show you how I bend it next time I see you at the space.
Bones

EEK! NO REBAR ON COLD SAW! It will destroy blade, it’s hardened to give it more tensile strength. Use Abrasive Chop Saw.

1 Like

I agree, he said he was using it for the square stock though.

FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW, DO NOT CUT REBAR ON THE COLD SAW!!!

2 Likes

Not my place to make any decision, but I would think that like rail, rebar should require file testing, and the results determine if it can be cut. While some of it is hardened, most of it isn’t, and I can bend most rebar far more easily than most cold rolled stock, which shouldn’t be the case if it were hardened. In fact you see a lot of bends in rebar that should have flat out snapped it if it were at all hardened.

1 Like

I’d think that as long as you file test that’s the definitive guide.

The only problem I see with this (and it applies to all material) is that we will have members see someone cutting a material and they will assume that material is always safe and not realize anything about the file test. We ought to post a sign with the files hanging from it behind/near the cold saw…

At least then we can bash them for the common error of failing to read (like the speed sign on the band saw) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“Failing to read”
If that were a punishable offense you’d lose most of the membership

3 Likes

Does it go up to 11?

1 Like

Angle grinder with cut off disk is quick and easy, especially since precise measurements are not required.
Bones

1 Like

Finally got the prickly pear planted.

2 Likes

It’s like you are Edward AngleGrinderhands.

1 Like

Anglegrindhouse…

1 Like