Welding instructor 1 on 1

I cant seem to find emails for my instructors on the calendar page is there another place i should be looking?

It looks like the two instructors for those classes are @tomthm and @larsgars

Also, are you sure you want to take the same class back to back like that? The instructors can confirm, but I’m pretty sure that’s just the entry/safety class, that’s known by a few different names (Hot Work Safety, Welding Safety, Hot Process Safety and Metal Shop 101 etc).

And, just an FYI, if you are wanting to take the welding classes in addition, if you take their safety you aren’t required to take my Hot Work Safety class the morning of the welding classes, but you may if you like.

Unless an instructor has chosen to put their email address on the listing, no.
You kind of have to play detective.
This is how I start:

1. Look up event (Hot Safety class chosen @ random)
    https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/13042

2. note Host Name

3. Go to Talk

4. Click on “Hamburger” menu

5. Click on “Users”

6. Search for someone with a name like the host’s name

7. “Message” said person on Talk, and ask if they are the instructor, and whatever else you’d like…

3 Likes

No one man should have all this power! Burn the heretic.

3 Likes

Awesome i didn’t know they were the same class so i should only need to take one?

OMG thank you!

1 Like

Technically yes. But, if you wanted to you could take those two, and then mine on the 20th, and then in the 15 min break between that and the welding class, you could tell me that I’m the best instructor because I did it better than those other guys.

eh, probably best you just take one of the three.

3 Likes

Okay thank you hahah
:rofl:

When I was coming up with times on classes I was just winging it and didn’t check the calendar. Plus the 3 day wait is hard to predict, so how is there a way for yall to tell me which days you’re unavailable to teach? I’m a newbie so I should get what’s left over anyways! Honestly, I’m just trying to get more people cleared in metal so they dont have the same experience I had when trying to get cleared

3 Likes

Just keep at it. Two classes on the same day is no biggie, I’m sure both of you will have plenty of students.

Long term, it’s my personal wish that there were calendar features added to all for a “quene” for students to say “I need X” and then the common instructors could create a class for that to fullfill the need. The problem is, who would develop it, etc.

3 Likes

Well, when people ask me, What kind of music do you listen to? Metal is my answer, so I can help make your wish come true!

Starting July 1st I am down to 1 day a week at work so this is something I have time for. In my class today I asked what they wanted to learn. All of them want an hour long on the mig and TIG to get familiar with them.

In my mig classes next week I want them to weld cube or triangles then show them how to grind down the welds.

The Hot Process Safety Class doesn’t require you to bring anything. Also, welcome the DMS!

2 Likes

Does it require you to dress properly? You know – proper shoes, etc…

Not for the class, unless you’re attending a follow up class like the welding class.

Common sense of course, no flip flops, wear safety glasses etc because you’ll be in the shop.

2 Likes

I cannot speak for the other instructors, but I do my very best to walk students through the Metal Shop (so I can point and grunt at those things we discuss; I believe that pointing and grunting at the actual thing is superior to pointing and grunting at a slide, possibly containing a photo of said item). IF they’re doing that, the students (and teachers) need to follow the guidelines:

• Safety Glasses (Z87 + U rating)(DMS provides some, but having your own is encouraged)
  • closed toed shoes
  • natural fiber/leather clothing and footwear

That should, of course, be part of the course description, if that is going to happen (and, obviously, I think it should…)

2 Likes