Welding instructor 1 on 1

Hello, I am new to making and would love to learn to weld. I have no clue where to begin I would be willing to hire a one on one instructor for a few hours this summer. I was curious if you have any suggestions on how to hire a teacher?
Best,Matt

I might be able to help with that. What are you planning on doing with the knowledge?

2 Likes

Hello, There is no specific project that i have in mind. I know that welding is a dangerous art-form and would love to learn with supervision. That being said I am an architecture student and we use welding to make furniture and work on architectural models. But in reality I would love to learn welding to one day create metal sculpture.

1 Like

In my (limited experience) sculpture welding and structural are different beasts. I ain’t concerned about penetration to any real degree on a steel peacock unless it’s uncomfortably huge and I’m trying to defy gravity. Heck, most of my more complicated pieces were just tack welded

Great to know! yeah i really am just looking to get someone to teach me the beginnings of welding. I’m sure doing sculptural work takes years to master. I just want to learn the basics and one day hope to be good enough to try and weld sculpture.

Go for it. You can always practice in the scrap bin once you’re signed off. I wasn’t a master and after 10+ years no practice am now terrible but I only had one special problems track in the big metal shop. So far it’s all still holding together :joy:

I can show you how to turn it on and make a very ugly tack and bead

Awesome any help is welcome!

10 4. You’ll need to take hot process safety before we can do anything

And the relavent class for whatever process they want to use as well.

Sounds good! Do i take these at the maker space?

Yes. I have a Hot Process Safety class scheduled for this Sunday, 6/30. It’s on the calendar: calendar.dallasmakerspace.org.

Welding classes will be posted there as well, but I don’t know if there are any scheduled. You’ll need the welding class in order to use the TIG, MIG, and stick welders.

Edited for grammar.

1 Like

I’ll be scheduling some for the Saturday of the 20th of July, I’ll update this thread with links.

2 Likes

Do welding classes happen more frequently then that or is it possible to get a one on one scheduled with someone?

thank you so much!

If you like I can do a one on one, but at the moment I’m the only teacher so I hate to do one on ones because that deprives DMS of the class for the 5 other people besides you.

If honorariums keep being a touchy subject I’ll be more willing to do one on ones in the future.

Would you mind coming to the class, getting signed off on the welders, and then we talk about one on ones after that?

1 Like

Yes sounds good!

Classes are submitted, they’ll be 72 hours before you can register for them, I’d recommend setting an alarm and do it ASAP as they tend to fill up very fast at only 8 spots per class.

Either of the two TIG classes signs you off on the machine (if you pass the short weld test), but the techniques between AL and steel is different, so if you want to weld both I’d take both, if your good learning via youtube, then take one or the other and just pay for 1 class.

2 Likes

Update:
I am now a member and will be going to the open tour event on Thursday night.
I have also signed up for the classes “Hot Process Safety Class” & “Hot Safety Class - Metal 101” for this Sunday.
Is there anything else i should do or bring before attending class?
Thank you for again!

I’m actually not teaching that one, you’ll have to ask the instructor. I can’t really think of anything, but they’ll know.

No worries! Thank You!