Weld a receiver hitch on a trailer

I want to weld a “receiver” on a utility trailer that I have so I can put a bed extender on it for when haul longer boards to metal tubing.

Do we have a welder we can take outside or to the automotive bay? Where do you plug it in and what is the protocol for that?

Is there anyone that is willing to help me with it? I am not yet an amazing welder. :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Joseph

@Team_Metal_Shop
Okay – yes, we’ve got a welder that can go at least as far as the automotive bay. We’ve also got an extension cord rated for the welders.

The path to welding –
First off, you should take the Hot Process Safety course. It’s on Learn. (This is just the link to Learn – you have to sign in with username and account password) Dallas Makerspace: Log in to the site
Then you’ll need the welding class to give you access to the welders. Pretty much you ask for a class here on Talk, and one of the teachers will set something up.

I’ve tagged the team, and some of the guys will have better information. But that’s your starting point.

1 Like

The outlet for the welder is between the two dock doors.
The Miller 252 MIG welder should have a bottle of C25 shielding gas on it. I dont remember if we keep the regulator on it or its in a cabinet, will need to move the hose from the wall to the regulator on the bottle.

You should be able to back the trailer up to the trailer dock and mig gun will reach from the dock. An evening when its in the shade and not windy is best for MIG.
Grind off all paint and rust where you plan on welding.
I might have time to help or give advice sunday night after 6pm

1 Like

I have taken both courses, so I am good to go there. I still need to improve my skills though. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. I will go check it out. I won’t be able to come this Sunday evening as I will be returning from a Mother’s event. Perhaps another time.