Weird Computer Issue

I am having a weird issue with my [Laptop] when I plug it in to charge it, it cycles between:
“battery on” and “plugged in” every second
and the computer gets very very hot, and the battery doesn’t charge. If I shutdown the computer and plug it in, the laptop doesn’t get hot and fully charges, when I power it on while it is still plugged in it also is fine, but if I take out the charging wire and plug it back in to the laptop it stars the on/off cycle again.

I initially thought it was just a loose or bad female connector in the laptop, but it seems to be a software issue?

Any thoughts on what I should search on google to solve my issue? Ive already done quite a bit of searching and not coming up with anything.

@Team_Moderators could we move this under the PC Computer sub category? This thread fits better there then under a coding related topic.

1 Like

@Josh_Melnick

Any thoughts on what I should search on google to solve my issue?

Tom's Hardware guide and PDF's on A+ cert / laptop repair.

But this does sound like it might be a bad battery controller, couldn’t say unless it’s tested. Easiest thing to do is to take a voltmeter and test the connections plus the traces on the battery controller.

Another test is to boot it up without the batteries installed but on ac power.

2 Likes

Did you get your laptop’s gremlins wet?

1 Like

My guess would be bad battery.

1 Like

I would say it is probably a bad battery charge controller chip. One of the sense lines is not functioning. Often they will use a surface mount fuse or zero ohm resistor.

As many point out you need to confirm the battery is not suspect.

2 Likes

2nd try another battery

3 Likes