WebSDR: Radio receivers on the Intertubes!

I like to listen to HF or satellites sometimes when I’m working on something else. Nice background noise, you might say.

websdr.org has a lot of great WWW-accessible SDRs, but here are my two favorites:

Wideband SDR
DC-to-30MHz with one honkin’ big ADC
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

PI5FTS auto-tracking satellite SDR
No Az/El setup? No problem.
http://vhf.pi5fts.nl/

5 Likes

Do we have a good SDR available at the space? I think that would be great to be able to play with and program for

2 Likes

I’ve got a limeSDR mini I was planning on teaching a class on at some point in the heat of the summer.

2 Likes

I was just talking to a T-Mobile operations person about creating a amateur radio GSM Cell Tower for learning and testing on amateur radio frequencies. One can do this with an SDR and a software phone switch. It would be interesting to experiment with. Of course it would have to be marked as TEST and have a message notifying the caller that they are connected to a test tower in case some cell phone switched by mistake over to it.

1 Like

That’s one of the options with the LimeSDR mini. It’s the right frequency range, has plenty of channel bandwidth, and is fast enough it should work. Just whether someone has the time to make it work.

1 Like

Found this in Walter’s stuff. Looking into what all goes with it. Think this is for HF.

Will bring in on next Electronics Committee/AR SIG mtng.

2 Likes

I know what those 3 are and can give a technical rundown on how to use them if needed.

1 Like

Been playing with a Flex 6600M all month. Awesome radio. Wish it was mine. Can remote into it from anywhere, using a PC or iPad. Contest quality receiver.

With the switch in the Upconvert position it’ll do HF with it in pass-through its prolly ~25mhz-1.5ghz or there abouts
Was anything decided/done with this unit? I’d be very interested to see how it compares to the Receiver on the AR bench.

It’s still in my storage unit (not DMS). Haven’t researched all the details just yet. From what I remember on the website, you can dwnld the sftwr and the rest is pretty much plug n play. Will probably bring in and set up once all the expansion stuff for our area is done and area is secured - cameras, etc. Need to come up w/ some way to secure/lock down small items so they don’t “walk away”.

Yup just need to hook it up to a computer and antenna load some drivers and software. there are even android drivers and apps available. As for securing the station(s) this is how the W7ASC shack in the Arizona Science Center is set up.

both sides have stations that look like this up top is the UHF/VHF radio. The next shelf down has the HF radio and a speaker. The mic connections were broken out to bulkhead connectors down by the desk. We used HRD to control the radios. When we showed up for a shift it was easy to unlock the cabinet and KB drawer, slide the plexiglass on the top out, hook up a mic and grab a jar of pencils and a stack of “I sent my name in morse code” worksheets. Some of the smaller easy to losethings like the rubber stamps were cable tied to keep them from getting lost. I realize that the DMS use case is a little different, but some kind of similar cabinet/station could work. Maybe with RFID locks on the cabinets or something similar,