We Use Cone 6 Clay, Right? Just Checking. :)

Hello all, I’m going to buy some clay today and I just wanted to double check that we use cone 6, right? Just want to be sure, thank you!

Yes, that is correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can we use premixed clay of cone 10, even though we only do a cone 6 firing?

Yes… but it won’t be food safe. So you would have to make stuff not for serving or eating off of… it won’t vitrify at 6

Yes and no. We fire to Cone 6, but most of the clay we’re usually using is actually Cone 5 clay. That just means that it can vitrify at Cone 5. Clay has quite a bit of flexibility, temperature-wise.

I mean – if you buy clay at Trinity, and Conor’s there, he just gets you the mid-fire clay. I didn’t realize that the Laguna B-mix I use was Cone 5 until I was buying during the sale, and Conor wasn’t handling the sale. I said “B-mix”, and she said “5 or 10”. I believe that the Trinity white stoneware we get is the same (5 or 10).

@sonepi – so, if you’re making ornaments, you’re good to go. If you want to make cups or bowls or plates, you might make a small test bowl, glaze it, and see if it “seeps”. Plus, I’ve heard that crazing is actually caused by a COE mismatch between the glaze and the clay. I feel that test tiles/bowls are the only way to check that. Nobody ever tells us what the COE is of the clay OR the glaze. Ya’ just gotta test.

1 Like

Thanks Beth

Thank you!

1 Like