We have the resources to build ppe -- Let's help!

Good for them. I think what acme is doing is good. I’ve said so in posts above, what acme is doing is good.
My complaints about Kevin are about the lies on his SOI and his tendency to take credit for everything.

We are taking a different path to support the hospital that supported us during our planning for our covid policy. Why do you have a problem with that?

Thank you for the pinned post. It answered a lot of my questions. I’m especially happy the 3D printers are being used at a facility to make PPE and be maintained properly.

Well done.

2 Likes

Because that could cost someone their membership. There’s a rule about that, remember?

Repeat the assertion often enough and it becomes true?

Here’s the rule

1. Only persons or members that have been formally authorized to act as an agent or representative for the Dallas Makerspace, are permitted to represent DMS in any and all conversations, writing, or other communication with any public official. Failure to secure permission may result in the forfeiture of membership.

They key here is act as an agent or representative.

Nothing stopping anyone from seeking information - even detailed information - on how DMS might comply with a process or regulation.

2 Likes

Many of us are still shell shocked by the threats and intimidation from the last board.

2 Likes

Hi @Raymond. When I made the call, I was clear that I couldn’t name the company since I don’t represent it. Carrollton is currently looking into how to streamline exemption orders. Like most everyone else, they are working from home, so he didn’t have an immediate answer.

I will be posting info on how to do it for other companies who want to retool.

Now that there is a pinned post, I learned our 3D printers are being used offsite to make PPE and aren’t just sitting in a locked room.

1 Like

Aye. However I have no recollection of that rule being specifically used in a disciplinary matter.

I also expressed my exasperation on the subject earlier to encourage those with the motivation put in some footwork so they might offer something closer to a turnkey solution to consider.

Call it the @Nick rule. It was held over his head.

4 Likes

The exemption is applied for by email:

Applying for an Exemption

• Manufacturers who retool their business for
    the purpose of manufacturing and producing
    ventilators, masks, personal protective
    equipment, or any supply necessary for
    Essential Healthcare Operations may apply
    for an “essential business” exemption
  • [email protected]

source: https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/Home/ShowDocument?id=26162

2 Likes

My understanding of the experience that acme had with exemption:

It’s been days since emailing and there’s still been no reply last I heard. Code compliance had been stopping by daily but after a number of calls put in to officials, one of them finally said no one would be stopping by anymore, and indeed they stopped.

DMS is bigger than acme and probably shouldn’t afford the risk of trying to operate until after we’re added to the exempted list. I think the city initially wanted to fine acme $2k per day.

Therefore if we’re going to apply at all I’d recommend applying immediately just to get the red tape cleared so that we don’t have to wait for it in the event that we encounter a call to action. We may also need to put in calls to whatever city officials we have a rapport with as acme did. By all means mention acme and the PPE news article in case it helps smooth the process along, but I think Carrollton is already fairly familiar with us.

Different jurisdictions as well. I gather the 'burbs are a lot testier than the core cities when it comes to code compliance.

I don’t know about that…

King Jenkins is having a heck of a time getting people to comply on the Katy Trail.

Indeed.

Incidently I did take note that the email address to apply for exemption is the same in both cases. No doubt whoever handles that inbox is swamped.

1 Like

Says the guy who can afford to have battalions of lawyers to deal with that “autopilot” problem.
Maybe he’s worried about this?

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

4 Likes

Since we’re wandering into the OT weeds…

Ah an article that’s padding around an embedded video. Joyous. For once I have the luxury to burn ~15 minutes on < 5 minutes of written material.

This effect is the strange interlude of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) brightness control popular for LEDs and the mechanics of a digital image sensor’s rolling shutter. Cheap LED Christmas lights do this by rectifying the AC voltage - unfiltered - and thanks to the fast response time of LEDs relative to incandescent, this is perceived as 120Hz flicker which is rather annoying.

The automakers love PWM controllers because they’re slightly cheaper than providing LED controllers capable of multiple currents and also capable of an arbitrary number of output levels. A better solution would be to take advantage of the near-instantaneous response time of LEDs and up the base frequency by an order of magnitude; as an added bonus this would do away with the distraction of panning your eyes across tail lights and seeing a line of dots (ala cheap LED Christmas lights) whenever you scan your human eyes across a scene when behind the wheel.

Presumably a well-conceived autonomous driving AI would treat brake lights and turn signals the same way that the analog human mind does - as a signal of intent rather than a solid tell of action. Like for a a human, a driving AI should treat a signals as a trigger for additional scrutiny of the vehicle’s future behavior.

Of tangential interest, at ~1:15 the video shows was looks to be a simulation of LIDAR, which won’t care about visible light and produces short-to-intermediate distance geometric data for the driving AI to work with.

2 Likes

Alright this dead horse has been beaten enough.

5 Likes