We have the resources to build ppe -- Let's help!

Yeah sorry that was meant as a general reply not specifically to you. It’s been a long week. Distance learning is significantly more work than brick and mortar learning.

1 Like

@Lampy, maybe you can start an FAQ thread so that people like me will read it first and know what your research says. It would be a positive, goodwill gesture if it was factual and didn’t try to put anyone on the defensive. Then, you wouldn’t need to keep answering the same question over and over again.

3 Likes

TL;DR of our concerns:

• Legal for DMS to open to provide and we’re not sued for providing it
  • Safe for DMS to re-open on a narrow basis to make PPE or other COVID-19 relief items in terms of sanitation, supplies, and an operations plan
  • Effective for the user since much of what’s been proposed (ventilator valves, fine filter masks) are simply not effective when made on our tools
  • Needed by first responders or the community so we’re making things that meet a clearly-defined need and we’re not just spinning our wheels
2 Likes

Thanks for that. Can you move or repost this in a public section so we can direct inquiries there instead of telling more people to email you?

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve added a pinned post with our most current details.

4 Likes

Seems to be a lot of jumping up and down out there about ppe.
A lot of jumping up and down about getting someone to do something.
Wanna give yourself some really warm fuzzies?
Get off your arse and go donate blood.
Unless you have some medical reason not to, just do it.
Otherwise just stfu already.

8 Likes

Or plasma if you have a medical reason to…

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder!

Carter blood center is taking appointments and has mobile locations at gateway churches around town.

2 Likes

This is the best idea and I’m going to do it, send it to all of my friends, and put it on my school website for how to help.

4 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of posts on social media and news about people just ditching gloves and stuff on the ground. Another thing the sewing people in the community can do is make “drop bags” for people to use for used gloves/wipes

3 Likes

1 Like

Yes, we are covering our asses by adding our printers to a print farm to create more PPE faster and safer…

Or maybe we are being responsible and doing the right thing to provide PPE and flatten the curve.

Do you have anything productive to add or do you just throw stones?

1 Like

I think you have thrown enough stones at Kevin and this cause for the both of us.

Why don’t we donate to this as other spaces have?

A group of people from various maker-space communities in Dallas decided that enough was enough with the lack of supplies for first responders, medical workers, and other employees keeping the necessities running in our city. They each threw in $200 and a ton of time to kickstart a maker movement to supply those in need with reusable face shields.

With an idea, a plan, and shared mental resources they started production across multiple maker-spaces.

https://www.acmecreationlab.org/covid

Good for them. I think what acme is doing is good. I’ve said so in posts above, what acme is doing is good.
My complaints about Kevin are about the lies on his SOI and his tendency to take credit for everything.

We are taking a different path to support the hospital that supported us during our planning for our covid policy. Why do you have a problem with that?

Thank you for the pinned post. It answered a lot of my questions. I’m especially happy the 3D printers are being used at a facility to make PPE and be maintained properly.

Well done.

2 Likes

Because that could cost someone their membership. There’s a rule about that, remember?

Repeat the assertion often enough and it becomes true?

Here’s the rule

1. Only persons or members that have been formally authorized to act as an agent or representative for the Dallas Makerspace, are permitted to represent DMS in any and all conversations, writing, or other communication with any public official. Failure to secure permission may result in the forfeiture of membership.

They key here is act as an agent or representative.

Nothing stopping anyone from seeking information - even detailed information - on how DMS might comply with a process or regulation.

2 Likes

Many of us are still shell shocked by the threats and intimidation from the last board.

2 Likes

Hi @Raymond. When I made the call, I was clear that I couldn’t name the company since I don’t represent it. Carrollton is currently looking into how to streamline exemption orders. Like most everyone else, they are working from home, so he didn’t have an immediate answer.

I will be posting info on how to do it for other companies who want to retool.

Now that there is a pinned post, I learned our 3D printers are being used offsite to make PPE and aren’t just sitting in a locked room.

1 Like

Aye. However I have no recollection of that rule being specifically used in a disciplinary matter.

I also expressed my exasperation on the subject earlier to encourage those with the motivation put in some footwork so they might offer something closer to a turnkey solution to consider.