Way to go Missouri

How this will play out, how many other states will follow suit, and what the long term ramifications are going to be?

I am fairly certain that the Civil War ended questions about federal law > state law. Missouri is going to be in some trouble.

1 Like

Not really in trouble, but their laws won’t hold up in Federal court. So basically, they can’t stop the ATF from enforcing, but they don’t have to participate in enforcement.

2 Likes

Suspect the best-case model for this is state marijuana legalization where an awkward gap exists between state and federal enforcement. Only there wasn’t a federal apparatus for regulating/permitting retail sales of marijuana. One wonders how FFLs will approach this or if a parallel network of retailers will emerge willing to adhere to looser state standards, risking the ire of the feds.

This will quickly end up at the Supreme Court if passed. Since the court is more right leaning than it has been in years, it will be very interesting to see how they interpret the 2nd Amendment in the context of states rights.

There are lots of Federal laws I’d like to see relegated or negated by the states. In the past the Feds have fought back on these kinds of issues by reducing or eliminating federal funding for the state. This president may see things differently.

Go Missou.

2 Likes

I just hope liberals dont get too involved in this.

You mean act in a way not in accord with their prime directive? Who do you think they are…Captain Kirk!?

1 Like

“Show me” indeed.

First was the case in which Arizona was prohibited from enforcing federal immigration laws.

Second is the reliance of most federal gun laws on the “commerce clause.”

Excerpt from the article I’m sure many didn’t read.

But will it hold up in a federal court?

Yes. The bill’s main provision calling on the entire state to cease enforcing federal gun control measures stands on solid legal ground under the anti-commandeering doctrine. Court precedent from 1842 to 2012 stipulates that the feds simply cannot require a state to help them violate your Constitutional rights, and allows states the power to refuse to enforce such federal laws it deems unConstitutional. Besides, the feds simply don’t have the manpower to do it at the state level without the assistance and partnership of state and local agencies.

Just in case that isn’t enough, Missouri’s Senate also passed a measure supporters say will work hand-in-hand with SB367, solidifying it by codifying the Second Amendment into Missouri’s state constitution. Senate Joint Resolution 36 (SJR36) proposes an amendment to the Missouri state constitution with text obligating the state government to uphold the right to keep and bear arms. It passed the Senate today by a vote of 29-4. If passed by the House, it will be entered on the ballot for Missouri voters’ approval this fall. The amendment would elevate the Right to Bear Arms to “unalienable status,” thereby obligating the state, its courts and agencies to defend it as a guaranteed right of Missouri citizens.

1 Like

Only, if the Missouri doesn’t veto it though.

Montana had show-stopping problems with similar legislation.

Liberals like weed. They dont like guns. And America is by far majority liberal at this point.

1 Like

Still gonna be sued all the way

Based on which definition of liberal?

Well, not by far, but the House is now 54% Democrat and the Senate became more Democratic. People like AOC managed to actually win their election.

1 Like

You said liberal, not democrat and then point to one part of the government which has a slight majority of democrats and claim this is the USA as a whole is by far liberal?

What definition of liberal do you use as a basis for your statement?

With out defining your terms your statement has no merit at face value.

Recent polling shows a majority of Americans favor “Medicare for all,” some polls showing as much as 70% favorability.

I can’t think of much that’s a more “liberal” concept than government paid healthcare for all.

Based on what definition of liberal? I’m simply asking to define the term.

What definition? Ok, this is my definition of liberal: The philosophy that laid out our child labor laws, fire egress laws, and overtime laws.

Do you like overtime? Do you like knowing a fire exit can’t be chained shut? If so, you’re a lib.

(oops, forgot the :slight_smile: )