Want to see how Professional Fireworks Displays are done?

Hey DMS,

I wanted to send out an invitation to all members to, join me in for a fireworks display I’m doing for the City of Fate this weekend. This is a charitable event that @Lampy and I organize for our Non-Profit Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas.

There are two ways to be a part of the Event,

Option 1, Donate your Saturday, September 22nd and join me and a bunch of Professional and Amateur fireworks display operators in learning and setting up a Municipal Fireworks Display, then enjoy the day and catch some free In n Out before sitting back and enjoying the show.

Option 2, Send me a PM so I can share my number with you and pop out an hour or 2 before dark. Give me a ring and I’ll give you a private tour of the display setup. You might still be able to get free In n Out before sitting back and enjoying the awesome display. The display and event are 100% free so no fear in just coming to watch. But, if you want to see the setup I will have to personally bring you behind the safety line.

Here are the specific details for those that want to help out:

Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas (PAT)

This will be the fifth year Flambeaux & PAT Friends have thanked the Nelson’s by setting up the 1.4G Display for this Event. Our way to thank them for their generosity and hosting of our club events. This is a Charity Display, no one, including Flambeaux Fireworks, will get paid for working on this 1.4G Display. Rex Nelson picks out over 150 cakes from his inventory, (last year totaled 151 cakes: 151-500g) really! We script it and then we wire it all up with a Cobra firing system and shoot it. 3-Position Front, Comet/Mine runs if we have time. Flambeaux Fireworks will be the Lead in setting up the 1.4G Display. The 1.4G Display will begin upon darkness, in tandem with a 1.3G Display performed by another company. (Note: Sign-offs will not be available at this event.) It’s a great family atmosphere, feel free to invite friends and family to attend the display, lots of room for lawn chairs and blankets.

So if you’d like to help PAT in setting up the 1.4G Display, while learning about 1.4G techniques, come find us in the field, here are the details:

Date: Saturday, September 22nd, 2018
Setup Start Time: 9:00am CT
Location: City of Fate, City Hall, 1900 CD Boren Pkwy, Rockwall, TX 75087
Display Setup is located in Smith Park next to City Hall: 32.954599, -96.380846

For prospective crew, please bring the following gear: (if you have it, we’ll have extra)

A headlamp with fresh batteries, Work gloves (leather preferable), Pocket knife, Sunscreen, Bug spray, And if you have them: Wire cutters, Hardhat, Eye & ear protection

We’ll set up in shorts/T shirts. Please bring long cotton pants(jeans are fine) and a long sleeved cotton shirt to change into if you would like to do Fire Duty during the display, this is optional for my DMS peeps. But, for many working fire is the best place to watch the show, because you are pretty much inside of it :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:. If it looks like rain be prepared with rain jacket and for your own comfort a change of clothes in case it really opens up. We have multiple tent/shades so we can set up in the shade or out of the rain. We’ll have coolers and will supply water, Gatorade, and snacks during setup.

8 Likes

Appreciate the invite, and while I would love to come help out and learn, this short of notice I’m already booked. Would this be available at a future event?

1 Like

Here is a picture of me shopping with Rex Nelson of the Nelson’d Fireworks Stand for product a week ago,

And here is most all but 35 of the cakes that are going into the display this year.

The show will have over 175 cakes with 90% of them being 500 gram cakes. To put this into perspective, these cakes would cost you $50 to $70 each, that is more than $10,000 worth of fireworks. Plus, we have a few tricks up our sleeve with a 150 roman candle effect, a large Saturn Missile mas shoot, a 300 artillery shell Blast, a 300 Salute finale!

Plus, when all of that is done, there will be a second fireworks display with Larger Commercial Product that you can’t buy at your neighborhood fireworks stand.

It really is a great event and fun for the whole family.

4 Likes

I will add that we have had many members come to this event in the past and can vouch for the “fun”. Ask @apipe about getting debris and fire rained down on her! She had a pretty big smile!

1 Like

Well, thank you for the lay up,

We have a Fall PyroFest event coming October 12-14 in Caddo Mills, just a couple miles up the road from this event. Here is the event page from our Facebook.
Fall Pyro-Fest 2018

This is an even larger event as it stretches across 3 days, Friday is setup for people that build or want to learn to build fireworks. We will have a 4 inch shell building class and if I get my act together a girandola class. Finishing the day with open shooting to test the items built.

Here is a girandola for those that don’t know what it is,

The class will make smaller ones, but they will be very enjoyable.

In the shell building class, I hope I can manage to talk Chris (the instructor) to teach how to make Jelly Fish Shell, they look like this,

Saturday will be more fireworks building and classes, but at the same time there will be a 1.4 consumer fireworks display setup and a 1.3 commercial fireworks display setup. There may be a second 1.4 display as well, if all the cards fall right. This is a true full day event. Plus, there will be a dinner included on this day.

Sunday is for cleaning up, everyone that comes to the event to get their State Required sign offs towards their Fireworks Display Operators License have to help with clean up. If your not looking for that, you don’t have to help, but it would be appreciated as many hands make fast work.

1 Like

Yeah,

This display is a gift to our supporter Rex Nelson. We don’t work people all that hard and many hands make setup easy. I’m working with a crew Thursday to script, build effect, punch, and label all the product. So setup in the field will be a breeze.

The majority of the day we spend snacking, chatting, and having a great day outdoors. There are tents for shade, snacks, sodas and water provided.

1 Like

My little and I should be in attendance.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting a very generous opportunity Nick. I also can’t make this one but have my sites set on one in October.

2 Likes

Nick and Ken, I would love to attend one of these sometime. Unfortunately, I have other commitments on 9/22. Please consider me for an upcoming event and I’ll be happy to help wherever possible.

1 Like