Want to Learn Welding for Hobby and Projects

Would like to learn how to weld in a class series. I’m interested just for my own personal use and hobby. However, I would still like to get an overview of MIG, TIG, oxy-acetylene, and other common welding techniques. I have some metal shop experience and I can hard/soft solder, but I don’t do those things for a living.

Let me know if there are any upcoming classes which would be of interest to me.

1 Like

Here’s where all the cool kids go: https://dallasmakerspace.org/calendar/

1 Like

Thanks. I went there earlier but didn’t find anything appropriate.

1 Like

Yep…only a CNC Plasma Cutter class on the schedule as of now. But that is where all classes will be offered/listed, so suggest you check in every day or so.

1 Like

Keep your eyes peeled there, as Lee will likely be posting some soon. As a warning, you will need to take the “Welding Safety” class before you can take any of the others, and sometimes that can be tricky. Usually MIG, TIG and Stick (GMAW, TIG, and SMAW in the new money) are offered. We do not do oxy-acetylene because we are not allowed by insurance to store flammable gas cylinders within our walls (last I knew, as I understood it).

4 Likes

Not only insurance but the Fire Marshal. We are only allowed to have the hand held propane torch size. even the small BBQ size tanks require outdoor storage - which we can’t do.

1 Like

Blacksmithing has that fancy new trailer outside…

2 Likes

True, but the trailer isn’t supposed to be parked there either is it? But if the propane in the trailer should catch fire or blow up, at least it is not indoors. Normally propane cylinders for forklifts are stored outdoors in those expanded steel cages. Same as the propane exchanges at stored. COncret walls make decent fire barriers.

1 Like