Wanna help someone put in a new clutch?

Hey I’m pretty new here, but I’m stuck with my only transportation being down right now because the slave cylinder on my clutch gave up. Parts cost for this particular car in shops is insane. Not worth putting 4k into it. Even if I had 4k to begin with. Also need a new rear main seal while I’m in there. Haven’t done a clutch before, but I’m not completely clueless, so was hoping there’s a kind soul out there with time or advice to spare.

Got ahead of myself.
It’s a 2013 Hyundai genesis coupe r-spec.

Naming the make/model/year will help folks now what they’re volunteering for.
and…secondary cylinder replacement is a COMPLETELY different animal than “put in a new clutch” (depending on year/make/model).
There are many kind souls who are willing to help. Is this happening in your driveway, apartment complex parking lot, or can you nurse it to DMS (i.e. can you drive clutchless that far)? Getting it to DMS will likely net more willingness to assist, but we can’t let dormant cars lie in the parking lot (or inside), either, so… :balance_scale:

1 Like

Yeah sorry didn’t mean to understate here. Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to do a full flywheel, clutch, and cylinder replacement. So I’ll need to flush the fluid and everything. It’s a big job…from what I’ve been told the secondary cylinder contaminated the clutch and there’s metal in the fluid. I’m gonna have to trailer it to and from DMS as that’s the only place I’ll have what I need to work on it.

1 Like

Text Jared at 682-287-5756 hes an independent mechanic not far from there and see what he would charge you.

I had quotes over 3K for AC on my truck and he did it for $1300

1 Like

My first clutch I did in my apartment complex parking lot when I was 26. I ended up dating the leasing agent that scolded me. That was 25 years ago and she’s still a great friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yours has an internal slave cylinder-much higher failure rate than external slave cylinders.

For folks that have never done a clutch i would plan a full day of work. The lift is obvious.

Rear drive should make it much easier.

Buy good parts, this is not something you want to do a second time because you went with no name cheap parts to save $50 or $100.

3 Likes

(also, if you’re going to do a long project like this, make sure that whatever day you come in does not have a class using the lift)

Lately there have been more classes for automotive going up, which is good- but classes always have a priority use. Likewise, common courtesy dictates that when you arrive/start working, please make a post on talk letting people know that you’re going to be there for a while, that way people don’t drive out expecting to be able to use it.

1 Like

I donated that lift ages ago to help get more people interested in Automotive at the Makerspace, not so one or two wannabe gear heads could bring their Fart car, Ponycar, or Camaro with all their “I read in on in internet go fast parts” shopping cart install would take up the entire day, night and into the next morning fiasco…

This guy and his clutch is someone’s else gig. I am not “type R” car guy. Wrong side of the wrong pond. Realistically - with a set of impact flex-sockets, a couple of long extensions, my preference is pneumatic impacts, and a good helper, 3 to 5 hours max. Add at least 3 hours to this number at DMS just to find the tools if you don’t bring your own.

Courtesy is a nice thing, I have always told people that If they need to leave for a part or a food break to make sure they leave a note with their contact number visible on the car. One never knows what may happen. Plus so few that use DMS are actually on TALK.

1 Like

You don’t have a choice in replacing the flywheel or not, as this has a the shitty dual mass flywheel and cannot be machined, only replaced.

While you are in there, you may want to look at your Giubos and the center support on the drive shaft - they are all part of the removal.

Hey appreciate the replies. I’ve contacted a mechanic who can do the work. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I guess I’m the “wanna be gear head” you’re taking about? Thought I’d ask for help so I could learn without taking 17 hours on shared equipment. I’m just trying to keep my car running. Don’t mean to offend.

Thanks so much for this. He’s been very helpful.

No not all.

You don’t seem like the car owner that’s going to join Makerspace for a month to do things like a full exhaust, big brake kit, and other “go fast” crap and then get stuck on the lift because your car cannot be moved. (Yes this actually happened)

Then there are the folks the use the Space one time and leave it like someone else’s clean up crew lives here. (This happens)

No, i didn’t think either of these applied to you.

1 Like

Ah gotcha. Probably a little on edge and underslept this week. The “This guy and his clutch is someone’s else gig. I am not “type R” car guy.” threw me off I guess.

If you’re not already, I’d find a chance to get signed off on the lift so you have access to it. I can help out with that, along with a number of other folks!

I would also get a copy of the factory service manual for your vehicle before you start. Hyundai/Kia likely have a portal online to subscribe to these, and having good quality information at your disposal will help immensely.

Beyond that, automotive has a transmission jack that will be useful for dropping the transmission. There are good quality torque wrenches in the big green toolbox. I’d bang out a quick list of tools you’ll need and make sure you have access to them before you start!

Don’t be afraid to poke someone for help, advice or a second opinion. People in the space are typically social animals who want to help someone who helps themselves! I think this is a solid project for you as long as you’re prepared with the right parts, right tools and a good plan!

2 Likes