Walsh Makerspace Open House: 10/13/18

This is a neighborhood-community based makerspace, truly something I want to see. I’m currently talking to them about a maker crawl so if you can’t make this we should be going in November as a small group but they are having an open house October 13th if you’re interested.

The Makerspace at Walsh Open House
Calling all makers, builders and creators!

Join us for the Walsh Makerspace Open House Saturday, October 13 from 1:00pm - 4:00pm. The event is free and open to the public.

Featured activities include the opening ceremony, maker stations for all ages, facility tours, artisans, music, food trucks and more!

Why attend?

The Walsh Makerspace provides those who aspire to create for pleasure and enrichment a way to do so while embracing the social and economic value of learning a craft. The Makerspace provides tools and inspiration including:

Computer design software and 3D printers
Woodshop
Laser cutter
Robotics and electronics lab
Maker-focused curriculum
Guest lectures
Classes
Equipment demonstration

3 Likes

Their business model is somewhat unique compared to what has been done before.

The creation was developer funded. Though there will be membership dues, it may be HOA subsidized? Also unknown is whether there will be an avenue for non-residents to join.

I wish them well.

It’s a nice, professional looking event announcement, too.

1 Like

I believe the manager they hired is/was a DMS member.

1 Like

So sayeth the press release

1 Like

There is only one mention of Scott Sumner on the wiki - https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/TEDxSMU_2010

He was around in early 2010 but i don’t remember ever meeting him. Guess he is not a member now when you have your own makerspace to run. FYI, there is another developer doing something similar.

2 Likes

They leave home and never write. Can we make some DMS shirts that read:

TRAITORS
Will not be forgiven

… arrive in the black death star aka space mobile.

I see it more of an invasive species…the whole maker movement.
s-l300

I assume this is a picture of the guy (based upon the subject and file name). I don’t recognize him, but I’m sure others do:

https://walshtx.com/2018/04/18/meet-the-master-maker/

1 Like

I remember that face, but he isn’t in our current billing system… so he hasn’t been a member since at least late 2012.

Last email I see from him back in the mailing list days is 10/15/12. I don’t recognize the face, but it’s possible probable my memory sucks.

1 Like

just fyi - It’s an hour drive from our MakerSpace to theirs. And an hour back.

getting a 404 error now.

2 Likes

Ya, when we go out in November I have a list of them to hit on the way and back to make it more a “round trip” but it is a journey from here.

1 Like

Weird that the link got removed. AFAICT, this is the same picture: https://walshtx.com/news/maker/the-master-maker-scott-sumner/

I emailed him this morning about the November Makercrawl I’ll keep you guys informed.

They adopted our current pricing structure of $50 a month, $10 for add ons. They are actively trying to build their base.