Voting on topics? Who did this?

I noticed we have voting on some topics … who, when, why?

voting%20topics

on this topic …

DevFest DFW is happening Feb. 16 - Meet and Learn from the Developer Experts for only $30

@LukeStrickland … did you install this?

Nah, I was wondering the same thing. I can’t even figure out how to make a topic do it. Also what does it vote against??

Whomever it was, I wish they would have talked about it or announced it before making changes.
I didn’t see any infrastructure announcements either.

Ok, it appears to work per category.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/c/off-topic/maker-matters

AFAIK, it has always been a feature of Discourse. It is enabled (or not) when someone sets up the category. At the bottom of the Settings dialog, it can be set up to allow people to vote on topics within that category. Apparently the Maker Matters category is set up to allow it.

Before someone asks - no, I don’t know which others (if any) are set up this way. Only way I know of to determine that is to check each category individually.

1 Like

Here is some more information …

Maker matters was set up that way a long time ago (I think by Lisa). That category doesn’t get many posts, probably why people don’t know about it. And they seem pretty pointless. :woman_shrugging:

The ability to vote has a side effect of not being able to “like” the original post. They are not the same.