Volunteer Opportunity - Remounting air distribution blocks

Several of the air distribution blocks I installed with wall anchors during initial buildout have since pulled out if the wall. Would anyone be interested in remounting them on some plywood to make the mounting stronger?

Bad:

3 Likes

The one on the pillar in Machine shop would probably be better to relocate the drop entirely.

Suggest bringing it down on the Cold Cut saw, we can run a short hose to it just the saw, and a block can be attached to Cold Cut saw with a second outlet as they use the airline over in the work table area. This would be a secure mounting and would be easier to get at. If you wanted to mount a Robo reel on the said, that would be a good place, IMO.

Machine Shop has adopted a policy of no airguns in the Shop (except the one inside the HAAS). So air isn’t needed.

2 Likes

Is anyone able to take this project

I’m sure we can find someone, not difficult, but it’ll probably require shutting the compressor down. I don’t know how many cutoffs are installed for the various branches.

There are no cutoffs anywhere above the individual blocks, all air lines are coming down from a big loop of 1/2" flex tubing coming up from the 1" line coming out of the air compressor. There is a ball valve between the compressor and the line you can close and then depressurize all lines without draining the compressor tank.

Good to know thanks.

If airline brought down next to the Cold Cut saw a block could be attached either to the saw or to the metal rack behind it. In fact roboreel might be better connected to the rack near the top. Better support than the ceiling and easier to do.

But would probably be better if on other side of work tables near J&SM so the cord isn’t going across the work tables or across the aisle between Machine Shop and work tables.

Would they really need to be mounted to some plywood or similar material or would better wall anchors be sufficient?

I’d like to do this on Saturday morning along with the light fixtures.

I’ll try to find a good slot of time where no one is using any air tools to do the purging and remounting.

I plan on doing the plywood mount method as the forces on the screws are horizontal pulling instead of just vertical weight.

One day I’ll get woodshop training lol. Until then I’ll cut some mounts at home .

2 Likes

If just remounting the blocks in their current locations should be able to get away with not draining the lines. (just be sure not to press in on the black disconnect collar on any pressurized lines)

Luke came by and got me and we spoke about the air line drop for the cold cut saw. He can easily mount the block solidly to the back of the storage rack or to the cold cut saw itself.

Machine Shop wants to relocate their drop 6 feet away. I’ll need to disconnect the air line attached to the bottom of the block. Does that require depressurizing or is it like a scharader valve?

1 Like

There are 2 valves

1 Valve that is directly on the compressor (You will need to use this one)
1 Valve that separates the shop from the front rooms that valve is located above the ceiling in woodshop approx near the manual router.

The door to the electrical room with the compressor is restricted. (I had built a contractor badge that was stored in the server room I am not sure if it’s still there.)

You should be able to work with @StanSimmons to get access.

@Robert_Davidson not sure if you know, but the electrical room door was wide open tonight. I investigated a bit to figure out where the breakers were (for the lights project).

I’ll talk to Stan tomorrow to figure out what we need to do to get me access.

I’ll be here tomorrow afternoon through evening, I can also let you in. While you’re doing the work ask @StanSimmons if he can issue you a temporary badge while you’re doing the work.

What is the status of this Item?

The new interim logistics chair asked me to hold off on this until our meeting on Saturday (Sunday?). I previously hurt my arm which delayed it initially.

2 Likes