Volunteer opportunities - the "to-told" list for the DMS picnic

Here I’m going to put a list of things that need to be done and could easily be done by a member. Thus sharing the love / workload. I can purchase materials (within reason) but with my hacky ways I see most of this done for close to free with scrap and imagination. Please respond and tell me what you would like to help with. If you’re asking yourself “but nicole, can’t you do that” I assure you that you’re looking at makerspace in the wrong spirit and I’m juggling like you don’t even understand so back it up jack and take on a community love project.

1. Buffet table indicators - one of the issues we had was just a massive pile of food. Table signs would help people know where to put them. While this could be simple I thought it would be fun to let the maker spirit take over and see what people can come up with. This will be reused for pot lucks if (hopefully) durable. I’m going over the top with the list so we have everything. Could we buy them - yes, of course we could but what’s the fun in that?

Abundant and possibly not all used list of signs we (might not) need: appetizers, chips & dip, ice, hot sides, cold sides, meats, desserts, non-booze, booze, silent auction items, salad, bread, kid-friendly

Ideas:

1. Auction Paddles: A few things will be auctioned off with a good ol’ fashioned auctioneer. It would help if we had paddles to yell out numbers instead of pointing at people.
    This could be as simple as paint stir sticks and some plates with numbers written on them. I also found some over the top options. I would think we would be great with numbers going up to 15 or 20.
    Ideas:
    454fd3f8e00dd7ec581b398dcca35042

images

2. Help getting items for the silent auction: I have a DMS letter, the paperwork to file and a spreadsheet. I just need help meeting and greeting people to get items to auction off. Remember this is for the good of the people.

3. Design the DMS Picnic Poster: I designed a couple but they are just from postermywall.com so not very special. If you want to share your creativity please feel free. I would get you all the information. This would need to be done relatively quickly (after we reserve the date
    today)
    incomplete posters done quickly :

4. Pie in the Eye Shirts: (some) of the committee heads will be taking a solid pie to the face. @mreynolds has volunteered to do this but I’m sure he would enjoy some help getting it done (even if it’s just running the heat press). I don’t have any pictures of the shirts from last year but they were totally darling.

5. Outdoor game making: I think honestly it’s great if we borrow them if possible but would anyone be willing to make corn-hole, outdoor jenga, or anything else that might come to mind?

6. DMS logo shaped piñata: do you have a love for everything cardboard? Want to attempt making a piñata? here’s a link: https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-make-a-pinata-1252616 Why the heck not. Now I can buy a piñata for $20 or so but it would be fun to make one like the DMS logo right or just something fun? If we don’t make one it’s going to either be a dino or a hippo https://www.amazon.com/Pinatas-JPAL00-Hippo-Purple/dp/B00450B9VK/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1518715204&sr=1-17&keywords=pinata

2 Likes

Was it not the one modeled here, by Alex?

4 Likes

yes perfect! thank you!

For some reason I think we should go with seagulls

That will be forever stuck in my damn mind.

1 Like

Do I hear you volunteering to make seagull shaped auction paddles? I LOVE IT! hahahah just kidding not volun-tolding you. I already did that with the hotdogs and you - you get a pass…this time.

I have a suggestion (and volunteer to implement) signage for the buffet/potluck.

For the Dutch Oven Gatherings I attend, they use clips made from two clothespins glued end to end. The bottom clip attaches to the side of the dish and the top clip holds a 3x5 or 4x6 index card. This card indicates what the dish is, and whether it contains various food exceptions (contains milk/nuts, no meat, vegan-friendly, gluten-free, etc.).
clothepins
I’ll snag some clothespins from Hobby Lobby and make up a bunch of these for the party.

As an aside, I think @TBJK’s seagull auction paddle idea is inspired!

2 Likes

Those flyers are fantastic

1 Like

I take no credit for them. www.postermywall.com it’s really quite easy and free so all credit goes to some woefully underpaid intro level graphic designer who churns them out all day long.

1 Like

@Committee_Chairs could you see if committees would be willing to take on tasks during your committee meetings? Thanks

2 Likes