Volunteer Opportunities - Light Fixture Maintenance

The light fixtures at DMS are all 20+ year old flourescent fixtures. The ballasts in them are all old-style magnetic ballasts and at end-of-life.

Logistics has been steadily replacing failing fixtures with LED tubes that bypass the ballast. It is an ongoing process that takes about 20 minutes per fixture. At about $50 per fixture, this costs more than replacing the T12 tubes (roughly $6) and more than performing a T8 upgrade (roughly $19 - $6 for the tubes, $13 for the ballast) but should have positive ROI in about a year for our high-usage fixtures. The T12 option is effectively off the table since the ballasts are all failing or nearly so, and the T8 upgrade is a similar amount of work, so might as well maximize our monetary and volunteer labor ROI and do the LED upgrade - the LEDs are expected to last more than 3 years maintenance-free.

Volunteers are needed that are comfortable with climbing on ladders, working with basic electrical wiring, and basic wiring harness fabrication. Once our stock of LED tubes is exhausted (we have enough for perhaps 10 more fixtures), Logistics will need to purchase more tubes and running supplies or the Board will need to allocate more funds.

:warning: **NOTE**: This category is **NOT** for discussion threads. Any "discussion" will be split out by one of the TALK Moderators to create a separate "discussion thread".
6 Likes

Let’s talk about this one at the meeting later…

2 Likes

I will help when I can.

2 Likes

I also don’t mind climbing ladders and working with electricity. Did y’all figure out what were doing in the meeting ?

1 Like

The plan is to keep replacing them with our current stock. If you are interested just need to get someone (should be able to ask around for infra member or @Adam_Oas) to let you into the locked pr/logistics/other closet behind fired arts to get the boxes of supplies (everything you need is on top 2 shelves on your left as you walk into closer). You can place all the light supplies on the new logistics shelf after getting them out of that locked room for easier access in the future.

The lights above laser that are out would be good to do next (makes back corner of workshop dark)

Alright I’ll work on that tomorrow,

@Adam_Oas would you be able to let me into that closet sometime tomorrow after 5?

2 Likes

Check your PMs. We can work out a time.

Phase one complete. Ideally I can turn off the breakers before I do it or at least the lights so I want to do it on a Saturday morning or something. I also took an inventory of immediate replacements.

I’ll type it up later.

7 Likes

Location Ballasts
Common Area 1
Purple Classroom 1
Long Hall 2
Workshop General 9
Fired Arts 4
Machine Shop 4
Auto 2
Laser 3
Woodshop 3
Lecture Hall 2

6 Likes

Is the long hall the one in front of CA? I noticed
how dark it was today

You must replace entire fixtures. The LED tubes are not rated for magnetic ballasts. Please get the process document from Brandon on the process or email Logistics and I will track it down and send it to you.

1 Like

Hey everyone, I ended up pulling a muscle in my arm or something on Friday and was unable to start on this. I plan on picking it back up when I can move my arm above my head without pain. If anyone wants to get a light replaced in the meantime, let me know and I can send you the documents and help as needed.