Virtual Reality Headset

I would like to setup mixed reality so that people not using the Vive could see what was going on. We could use the large classroom display for the output. It is what they are using in the second video in the main posting.

Here is a link to how to

http://uploadvr.com/make-mixed-reality-video-livestream-two-realities/

1 Like

Draco, that video is awesome, never seen it before. I have an htc vive now, and on tuesday Iā€™m getting a laptop to drive it. It looks like weā€™ll need even more stuff in order to be able to do mixed reality (Shopping list). Any idea how much of that stuff we can source from dms?

1 Like

Awesome! More VR people at the space!

Here is what I know about our spaceā€™s setup.

We have half of the lighting setup on your list( assuming it calls for four of those stands). We have a ton of ā€œsignificantly better than low endā€ cameras,recorders and microphones locked in cabinets.

I think the main focus for sourcing would be on proper chroma-color coverage because what we have at the space right now may not be enough.

1 Like

That would be amazing to demo VR, especially since VR has normally been a single person type experience.

Otto for now has left me in charge of the Vive fund box. I am hoping we can at least get someone to do Unreal engine or Unity 3D classes for VR (I know Tom Cook is really interested in this as well) and Iā€™ll be working with Jay if we need anything extra to get this working. Iā€™d be interested in @mattmarcum experience with VR and would love to see a demo at the next open house on Sept 17th.

Iā€™m really interested in the motion capture aspect. Iā€™d even like to work on a rig like the Virtuix Omni (thatā€™s been delaying their release date forever).

1 Like

@mattmarcum, @everyone
We should meet this Thursday or Friday to chat about the future of VR at the space.

It would be cool to understand what page everyone is on and to sort of start writing down plans like:

• reeling in other independent VR developers in the metroplex.
  • building out or enhancing the digital media committee for VR
  • getting DMS board funding
  • re-basing existing VR meetups in DFW such that they start happening at the maker-space.
1 Like

I work Thursday and Friday but I would like to continue VR meetups for this. @redslashace had monthly VR meetups a year ago, maybe we can start that up again.

Just an update: I got my htv vive and my gtx1070 laptop. The viveā€™s room scale vr pretty much blows everything else out of the water. Standout games are space pirate trainer, hollow point, and paddle up. The star wars demo (trials of tantoine) is cool (because its star wars) but short. Thatā€™s just scratching the surface. I havenā€™t even tried any of the more expensive games yetā€¦honestly Iā€™ve bought games I havenā€™t even tried yet.

If a bunch of people want to get together after work Friday (maybe 8pm) Iā€™ll lug all this stuff up there. I went ahead and got the 9ā€™ light stands to mount the lighthouses on. Then thereā€™s the laptop, the headset, the controllers, the breakout box and all the cables and power bricks.

One thing is that that we need a pretty big room to get the most out of it. I donā€™t think the media room is big enough but could be wrong. We really need an empty 8ā€™ x 10ā€™ space because the vive can scale up - it wants a 6ā€™ by 9ā€™ space but I think thereā€™s a buffer. I pushed all my living room furniture to the walls and was able to get a space about that size mapped out and these games really push it. I remember taking my off headset at one point and realizing Iā€™m 2 feet away from a wall.

Can we get a head count of who (or if anyone) wants to meetup on Friday?

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be eager/able to join via hangouts. Iā€™ll be available anytime from 7-10 pm

@draco has mentioned the idea of creating an interactive room setup for VR. Possibly installing permanent mounts for the base station there such that we have more room for large demos.

Iā€™ll be moving away soon, but Iā€™m always interested in correspondence with VR developers. (Iā€™m building a personal VR-dev setup for myself over the next few months)

1 Like

FYI, Iā€™m not going to be able to make it up to dms tonight. If someone wants to organize a meetup in the not too distant future let me know.

1 Like

@mattmarcum its all good.

Would weekends work for everyone? I definitely want to do a VR meetup, Iā€™m only available on weekends.

I am actually developing VR for the VIVE using Unreal Engine4! Itā€™s so much fun!

Thatā€™s great. Do you have w headset youā€™d be willing to do a class or demo with? I still need to pull interest into this as a viable learning tool for the Makerspace.

I would love to get into the VR learning. I do basic programming, but Iā€™ve been interested in VR programming for a while. Weekends are best for me also.

I know this thread is a bit old and Iā€™m surprised that there isnā€™t newer discussions regarding VR. Are you guys still doing VR meets? Iā€™ve had my Vive since May and open to bringing it up for demos or special events. I have also been trying to learn Unity for VR game development, but Iā€™m not a programmer nor 3d modeler. :frowning:

2 Likes

We would love to have you bring it for a demo. I can set up an event during a weekend or weeknight if you want to show it off. We still have a donation cash box to buy a Vive for digital media but hasnā€™t gotten a lot of attention lately.

@lukeiamyourfather might have something for us later.

1 Like

I think it would be amazing to sign up for the hardware dev kit, but the $3000 price tag on the required training class is a bit out of my budget and thatā€™s not including airfare.