Vinyl Cutter Check

Just wanted a second opinion on this:

The vinyl cutter instructions say to start with a pressure of 80 and move up if more pressure is needed. I was doing some testing yesterday and had to bring the cutter all the way up to about 125 before it gave me complete and clean cuts.

I’m guessing this is caused by a dull blade, but I wanted to get a second opinion before doing anything about it.

Chris

Pressure can be variable depending on the vinyl or even the batch of vinyl (textured stuff being the worst). The blade could be dull, out of adjustment, or the cutting strip might be worn. Sounds like you did the right thing, and as long as you weren’t digging into the cutting strip you’re fine.

That reminds me actually. The cutting strip is the white strip of plastic that exists under the blade and running the length of the machine?

On the Titan 28 it desperately needs replacing. It’s almost completely off and is split in half for a large section of the length of the machine. Do we have some way that we can replace that? because if so I’m happy to do it next time I’m up there.

1 Like

I probably have to buy one. Unless you’re saying that the plastic is easy to get?

I have no idea. I’m still trying to figure out the ins and outs of this whole thing, being completely honest. I meant ‘if we have a replacement piece ready to go I’d be happy to change it out’ more than anything else. I just am trying to be helpful ^_^;;

1 Like

Do you know if we keep extra blades somewhere for when the do get dull? I don’t think replacing the blade was taught way back when I took the sign off class (probably on purpose?), but I’m not sure who is supposed to be switching it out if not users. I don’t mind looking up how, but not sure on where we keep those.

That is, indeed, an excellent question. I’m betting I need to get some…

I was doing some looking back through past vinyl topics and I think I remember reading that blade changing wasn’t really being taught because ‘most people consider that an Admin task’ rather than something to be done by the users. Do you want me to include that in whatever classes I start teaching?

Probably not. Definitely some people should know, but I’d consider the average user less than ideal. We could have a “train the trainer” class, and teach some folks/figure it out. May depend on how expensive the blades are.

if it’s anything like my silhouette, changing otu the blade is something that doesn’t need to be done very often and is pretty easy, so since I’d be teaching I wouldn’t mind doing it as needed. I just need to know for sure the proper way to test and see if it’s needed and also how to do the change.

I’ve not used our machines, but have run some of the US Cutter machines personally. I know @mrjimmy and I want to record a basic class, which we’d include the basic instructions for blade changing.

Hard part is just using the screw adjust to get the blade to the right height - I usually would run the blade over some vinyl until it cut properly with light hand pressure, and then would adjust with the calibration on the machine. Just takes patience. Looks something like this: How to install blade and blade holder of cutting plotter - YouTube

As to the cutting strip - yes, there should be a replacement part available for it.Think this is it on the US Cutter site - MH Vinyl Cutter Replacement Cutting Strip

1 Like

The part that concerns me is assuming that users would only change the blade when necessary, vs whenever they start a job.

2 Likes

I suspect we’d end up with blades changed unnecessarily because it would be the default ‘my job didn’t cut right, must be the blade’

3 Likes

I honestly suspect you’re probably right. Leaving it to a few people who know how to test for it and judge if it’s needed or not may be smarter.

2 Likes

(1) HOW DO I INSTALL/ADJUST THE BLADE ON MY VINYL CUTTER…BLADE TEST! - YouTube

this video shows more about depths and cut angles. worth watching over the other one

EDIT: heres a us cutter one: (1) HOW TO SET YOU BLADE DEPTH CORRECTLY AND TOOLS TO HELP YOU GET YOUR JOB DONE FAST - YouTube

The video Titan Vinyl Cutter Replacement Cutting Strip (uscutter.com) is good though at least.

1 Like

Do you know off-hand if we’ve got spare blades? And, would it be a generic box, or would it say “vinyl cutter blades”?

Sorry, no idea if we have extra blades. Would imagine they would say generic though.

1 Like