Vintage test tool set

I picked this up thjs morning because…(fill in the blank).

Only @artg_dms and myself are old enough to remember what a “tach & dwell” meter or test set was for.

This was made by Simpson Electric, which is now owned by the Lac du Flambeau Band of the Lake Superior Chippewa Indians.

3 Likes

No, you are not the only ones.

I have a T&D meter on my shelf, and a timing gun buried somewhere though it’s been a long time since I had anything with points.

1 Like

Sorry, i forgot about you!

Oops.

I am sure there is one or two more.

I am down to 2 vehicles with breaker points and a condenser…

This test set hopped off the table at an estate sale on the way to work today. Dirt. Cheap conversational piece too!

2 Likes

Only half a century old, and Mil-Spec to boot!

1 Like

I have a T&D machine. Not nearly as nice.

1 Like

The name “Sun” comes to mind…

1 Like

I, too, know what a tach and dwell meter, timing light and points are. Lots of automotive work as a teen with my dad. He loved cars very much and it seemed we were always under the hood. I think my brother took most of his tools, but I suspect that there is at least a timing light somewhere amongst them.

Those were the days. My dad used to say, “the US stopped making real cars in 1975 when the EPA pollution regulations became common place.”

I have a Sun version as well Art!
This old Army one was $7.50 and not as attractive as the Sun products - still great for garage decor

Fancy. When I worked on dad’s ‘69 Ghia, feeler gauges were as far as I usually went.

I’m pretty sure the 66 Plymouth with the 383 was points also, but it probably wasn’t getting enough miles by the time I was doing repairs like the water pump to need regular points maintenance.

Vintage Autel

2 Likes