Vector and Illustrator Basics Class

Hey Everyone,

I was talking to John G. during one of the classes I was attending and he mentioned that it would possibly be nice to have someone do a Vector/Illustrator basics class. Wanted to get a broader understanding of the interest in this class and what topics people would like to see covered. What I am thinking right now is:

• Introduction to Vector Files and Vector vs. Raster
  • Introduction to Illustrator (Where to get it, Initial Recommended Setup, Selection Tool, Text Tool)
  • How Illustrator draws a curve
  • Introduction to the Pen Tool and the Direct Select Tool
  • Image Trace
  • Layers, Colors, Gradients
  • Text and Object Expansion

Would love input on other potential topics, but I believe with those topics most people could get to a working state in Illustrator.

Edit: Forgot Image Trace (how could I do that!) :astonished:

7 Likes

I’d be interested
:blankspace:

i am interested! John Gorman DMS hero

4 Likes

I’m interested as well.

If this class iif offered, I will be sitting in the front row. Very interested.

Interested here. Thanks!

Definitely interested.

Color me interested… plus a few

Interested! I know photoshop but it makes me crazy how different illustrator is from it!

I would love to take this class. I think that illustrator will be my first choice in design software.

@dwleonard, There is and will always be a lot of interest in an Illustrator class. I would bet if you put one on the calendar it would fill most weeks.

How are you going to get people hands on in learning the software? @fedakkee does a great job with his CAD classes, but he teaches often very small groups and has access to free licenses of the software so members can install it on their laptops and follow along. Adobe doesn’t support us like AutoCad and Solidworks with free licenses. I tried teaching illustrator in the past and this was the largest issue for me in trying to teach Illustrator. I’d be willing to help in teach if you have a way to get members hands on.

1 Like

Yes, this type of course really needs to be individual workstation based hands-on learning.

Totally agree with that. I’m not sure about how to bridge this gap though. I happen to pay for the CS personally, but of course that is a burden a lot of people don’t want. If people potentially wanted to bring their own computer they could install the free trial of illustrator for the class.

2 Likes

Yeah,
That was the biggest issue during my class. I wish you the best, give it a shot. You are most likely a better teacher than I. Worst case you make a little honorarium learning the ropes.

Well it seems like there is more than enough interest. Even though it might be rough shape to try to teach without software, I think it could still have some value. I’m gonna work on further defining what is best to be talked about and work on getting a class scheduled. Thanks everyone.

6 Likes