Vapor hone misuse

SO to the person who put hot metal in the Vapor Hone, Thanks for messing it up for the rest of us. You should come forward & admit your guilt. I will be reviewing camera footage to look for said person.

The vapor hone is not meant for you to cool or quench metal.

5 Likes

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Decide which one this is.

I can’t tell how this is hot metal damage, what happened in this case

1 Like

Here is the back side.

1 Like

this is plastic??

1 Like

Yes, this is plastic.

1 Like

Whatever was put there melted right through the plastic grate.

Wild. That seems like someone went out of their way to pass by all the water buckets to put hot metal in there.

Yes, at least two buckets of water by the KMG grinder on the way to the Vapor Hone.

Don’t forget the 50 gallons in the water buffalo.

Having no experience with this equipment, and judging from the design/look of the grid, I can easily see how someone thought that was a metal grid. I’d venture a guess that it’s an honest mistake. That said/assumed, people should clearly understand that it’s far better to ‘self-report’ when this type of thing happens, versus scuttling off and not informing anyone.

8 Likes

The vapor hone is not a parts washer nor even the convenient quencher; it doesn’t matter if they think it’s a metal grid, it’s not something it’s supposed to be used for. There are instructions on the door for its intended purpose and how to use it.

Regardless, the bigger nuisance to me is that whomever did this failed to own up to it.

7 Likes

Is it feasible to make the tray out of stainless perforated round? Not that it excuses this behavior, but it wouldn’t take the tool out of service.

Remember when I suggested there should be a ‘work log’ at the door of metal shop where people would sign in and write what tools they used and if there were any issues or problems discovered (or created)?

Still a bad idea? Beats looking through video footage trying to find whodunnit and would give people an easy place to self-report.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the purpose of the Issues section of talk?

Guessing most members never logon to talk and don’t know how to log an issue. Do we have mandatory ‘makerspace training’ before you can use the whole space that would teach people how to do that? No.

1 Like

New member orientations were happening last I checked and covered that. It’s been mentioned at almost all the trainings I’ve attended to get signed off on a tool. One would hope if you’re savvy enough to use our equipment you have the couth to ask how to post an issue should one arise. Being excellent and all that jazz. Failing that I could have swore the board approved email addresses for each comittee

I haven’t had a chance to teach any New Member Orientation classes since the start of Dec due to the holidays being hectic (and planning/preparing for a remodel). So they actually haven’t been going on, unless someone else was teaching them.

We do cover how to report issues in the class though, as well as other basics like who to talk to if you have an issue that you don’t want to post on the forums (e.g. someone being unsafe).