Van Shore Power Plug

Thanks again to ozindfw and modularmaker for their input Tuesday evening. I just left Camping World in Lewisville, which, it turns out, is kind of a mini branch. The guy there said to go to the main branch in Denton, which I guess I’ll do next.
Still, I think I’ve decided that a 30 amp shore power connection is good enough for me. He showed me a 25’ 50a cable in comparison to a 30a one. The 50a cable was HUGE, HEAVY and $290(!), whereas the 30a cable was much smaller/lighter and only $ a hundred-something. I could see if one had a large RV with two aircons, for example, or a welding truck, that you’d want 50a capability. But despite the fact that I’ll have to wait a bit longer to replenish my batteries via a 30a connection, I don’t think the bulk/weight/cost of the 50a cable is worth it for me. And yeah: I could keep the 50a inlet and just get adapters for 30a and 15a, but since I’ve decided not to drag around a 50a cable, I might never use 50a connection.
BTW, I did confirm that switching the charger between 50, 30, and 15 amps (or actually numbers a bit lower than those, to be safe), is simple in the app.
FYI, Dave

3 Likes

I wonder how long it would take to charge your battery bank from 10 to 100% at 30 amps… If you plug in at night, would it be fully charged in the morning?

I’m a beginner but I think yes. (I have two 230ah lifepo batteries.)

2 X 230 AH = 450 AH 450 AH/30A = 15 hours, but charging is not 100%, more like 80 or so, to 15/.8 is 18.75 so more than over night.

But, these are 12V batteries and the 30 A charger is powered at 115V. That’s 3450 Watts. The converter isn’t 100% efficient, t ignoring that loss it’s 287.5A at 12V.

I do not know what the acceptable charge rate is for his batteries, or what his charger is capable of. Many LiPO batteries can charge at 20% of their AH rating, so would easily charge overnight.

There are a bunch of other considerations, but this is a ballpark set of numbers.

2 Likes