Vacuum cleaner becomes old sparky

Yesterday, when cleaning up after a session on the mill Audi reported that the Rockwell Tools vacuum cleaner started generating sparks out the exhaust. Apparently also tripped the breaker serving the Bridgeport as well. I investigated, extracting the motor and found it to be laced with metal chips in the windings. I don’t believe that we should try cleaning and pressing this motor back into service as the insulation integrity has been compromised. In theory, the the filter should have protected the motor, but gaps in coverage will occur.

I looked to see if Rockwell tools sells replacement motors for their 28 gallon barrell vacuum. It seems that they don’t even offer that item anymore. Might make sense to just get another vacuum.

Regards,
Bob

2 Likes

We need to clean it then put a 90 on the discharge. I think the chips are making into the idle discharge then making it to L1 to ground. I can use my megger to check the integrity of the insulation after we clean it before placing it back into service.

2 Likes

I think I get what you are saying: That the chips flying of the Bridgeport are landing in the blower discharge rather than getting through the filter. Makes sense as I have frequently cleaned accumulated chips off the top. Perhaps a 180 to point the discharge downward would prevent that entirely.

Regards,
Bob

There may still the occasional spark that may shoot out. I cleaned most out as possible

6 Likes