Using a spindle sander to modify my dash for new gauges

Progress! Mahogany stain makes for a perfect color match. I’ll let that dry for a couple days before I coat it with poly

6 Likes

Looks awesome! Steering wheels on the wrong side haha but looks great! Did you do the Right hand conversion or was this originally a European model! Like the orange by the way

It was imported from France, so it came LHD, but the holes are all there to swap everything over to RHD from factory since they shipped them all over the world. Figured, why not? It’s a fun novelty and it’s not difficult to drive.

Yea, I always like seeing right drive cars preserved, especially any of the Datsun/nissans 200-280 and the skylines along with a lot of other cool collectible cars like that mini! Is that your daily or your weekend car

It’s my daily, when it runs :sweat_smile: thankfully I’ve been working from home for the duration of it being off the road

Well, some learning experiences were had at least, but it looks like I’m going to commission the professionals that make the dash in the first place to send me a blank piece with the veneer and no holes. On the upside, there won’t be any ugly patched holes that are obvious

I stained the veneer and poured epoxy, but something about the stain is repelling the epoxy in some areas and that gives me concern for delamination in the future. Either it’s because it’s oil stain and some spots didn’t dry correctly, or I didn’t give the surface enough tooth when prepping it. I’m not entirely sure.

2 Likes

Ever considered making it out of solid wood, if you’d be up to the task I have a piece that might be the same size and pretty close color wise I’d be willing to give to you free of charge, (except you have to sign a contract saying I own 1/157th of the mini) just kidding, but let me know if you want to give it a try

3 Likes

What are the dimensions of that piece? I need something that is 14x6x1.5" (and that’s not really accounting for much room for error). I might take you up on it. I’ve been waiting months for the company to get back to me about them making me a fresh blank but that’s going nowhere.