Used Epilog Helix 24 Laser

The model for sale is an Epilog Helix 24 Laser with a 60 watt tube. The asking price is $10,000 which is about half of the price of a new machine. It was used daily in a business scenario for years so it has quite a lot of use on it. If I understand correctly it was new around 2009 (roughly 7 years old). The owner did the demo cut for us and it worked as it should.

The current owner acquired the machine in a damaged state as payment for a debt. The damage was from another laser cutter nearby that caught fire. The owner restored the machine and replaced about $700 worth of components (servo motor, control panel, handles, etc.) and repainted the chassis. The owner seemed knowledgeable about the machine and owns more than one of the same model.

Some of the damage from the fire was not repaired which is my main concern with this particular machine. The linear rods have corrosion on them that is very visible and some of it could be felt to the touch. The owner suspected it was from water used to extinguish the fire. Some of the other metal components and fasteners are rusted. If you have any questions let me know.

Linear rods and bearings can be replaced reasonably, but it sounds like if more is rusted it’s not worth $10k.

I agree, I wouldn’t pay 10k for a used laser that has been through a fire and has obvious water damage. This price just doesn’t seem warranted for the condition and lack of a warranty. If the space was to purchase an Epilog Laser, we should probably purchase a new one with some sort of a manufacturer warranty. I know not all warranties are all that legit, but they do have some value. Also, with the use this machine will see around DMS, limiting issues for the future has value in itself.

That is my two cents, I mean it as no grievance with the seller, they may be able to get what they are asking from another party and in that case their valuation would be correct for that particular party. Also, If others in the Laser committee choose to contradict the points I highlighted I have an open ear to the discussion.

1 Like

So… That brings us back to the new Epilog. (whose funding is severely lacking… hint, hint.)

As a suggestion for funding, why not claim honorarium on the training classes for the laser? having the classes on the calendar in advance would help members and the $100 or $50 per class would help fund the new laser. Also, approaching the board for funding seems like a viable option at this point, as the use of the laser we have is clearly as high as any other tool at the space. If the board chose not to fully fund the new laser, but instead to match funds, I’m sure that would help the funding. Then every honorarium class payout could be doubled. These are my suggestions as to options to attempt befor just asking the membership to fund a laser that hasn’t been chosen yet.

Also, knowing the laser we are trying to buy might help those that want to help fund it.

1 Like

Andrew LeCody has been giving the laser training classes. I’m trying to get to the point that I could do them, too, so we could offer the classes on other days/times. I don’t know that this class gets honorarium, though. It’s a regularly-scheduled class that is provided by the Space. I was thinking of incorporating it into some of my Basic Laser classes, that do get honorarium. I list the Laser Committee as my sponsor each time I collect honorarium, but I think I’m the only person who does. So, attend my Laser classes to help buy us a new laser! At $50 a week, it might take a while…

the safety classes andrew teaches get honorarium, but the funds go to ops when andrew teaches them. If you would like to get honorarium for them that goes to laser schedule a class, the bimonthly classes are pretty packed, it would be awesome for someone to teach the laser classes on the off weeks, then there would be 4 classes a month for people to attend

2 Likes

Regardless of what laser cutter we purchase next it will likely require money from the general fund and approval from the board of directors. Other big ticket items in the past have used general funds and gone through the board of directors (laser, mill, air compressor, 3D printers, etc.). It’s a big ticket item and the laser usage fees and honorarium are good for keeping up existing equipment but not anywhere near enough to purchase another laser cutter. An alternative could be financing a new laser cutter which is how the new router was purchased. I guess that depends on how high we set our sights and what the board wants to do.

I’ve been talking with a support representative at Epilog about parts for this used machine. When I asked about replacement linear rods and bearings there was some confusion as to why those would need to be replaced because practically nobody has ever done that before on their machines. I explained what I knew of the history of the machine at which point he stopped me and basically said don’t buy this machine (though he was more tactful and eloquent about it). I insisted on getting the prices of the parts anyway which he was very helpful with. The prices are approximate.

• Linear rods and bearings: $120
  • Power supply: $700
  • Motherboard: $600
  • Laser tube: $2000
  • Motors: $160 to $280

Not that we need all of those replacement parts right off the bat but they are likely candidates for failure given the history of the machine (high utilization, exposure to high heat and fire, water damage). Here’s the catch and it’s a big one. Some of the parts have a core charge and parts from this machine likely won’t qualify for the core charge refund. The core charge for the laser tube is $2,300 so a new tube would likely cost us $4,300 which is unacceptable in my opinion. The support representative explained to me that this is one of many reasons why this machine is pretty much a money pit.

At this point I think we should move on and look elsewhere. We could make a low ball offer (would want to get funds worked out before doing that) but the owner seemed firm on the pricing. He might get someone to pay that much for it but I certainly don’t think it should be us.

2 Likes

Thank you for the sanity check. Much appreciated.