Use our own jacks, jack stands when lift in use?

I just joined this makerspace! Admittedly, mainly due to living in an apartment complex and the desperate desire to work on my own car.

With that out of the way, I have yet to be lift trained. Until then, or when the lift is actively being used, are we allowed to use our own jack stands/jacks and work either in the shop bay or parking lots?

1 Like

There are jack stands at the space for exactly this purpose. You are able to jack up your car next to the lift. Under our lease conditions, absolutely no automotive work may be done in the parking lots at all.

You are of course welcome to bring your own jacks if you would prefer to use known good/working ones.

3 Likes

ok perfect.

If you prefer, we also have ramps available as well!

2 Likes

awesome, good to know! One last question, are there hours where
the bays are available for use or is it 24/7?

Open 24/7 like the rest of the 'Space. Maybe one of the guys will post the link to the camera so that you can check on the current occupancy. There are 2-ish spots, and they might both be full.

2 Likes

Here’s the camera link

https://dallasmakerspace.org/cam/

Doesn’t guarantee that the bays don’t fill up on your drive over. Also note, you aren’t supposed to leave your car for extended periods.

2 Likes

I think the rule is that you’re only supposed to have the car up when you’re in the building and working on it. The exception to that is that you can leave for short periods of time (parts hunting, dinner acquiring) but you have to leave your name and phone number visible on the car (along with the reason).

3 Likes