Upholstery Fabric Source

Hey guys,

We just bought a sweet midcentury couch we’re going to get re-upholstered (Adrian Pearsall gondola if anyone is curious). Looking for an appropriate fabric, don’t want to spend designer $, wondering if anybody has recommendations for local sources? It seems like there’s quite a bit online but harder to decide if you can’t see and feel it.

3 Likes

There is a large fabric store at the corner of Perth and Harry Hines. I don’t remember the name things moved around after tornado but that store is carrying a lot of upholstery fabric some my friends that have have mentioned at that store carries a lot of upholstery fabric. It might be worth an afternoon to check out that store and the other places along to see what they

2 Likes

I know it’s not PC to recommend Hobby Lobby, as they promote discrimination with their profits, but they’ve got a big upholstery section. Still pricy, but a place to look at and feel some fabric. The Perth St stores are good, but I’m not sure where they’re sitting on prices. I haven’t been since the tornado. JoAnn’s used to have a table of inexpensive upholstery fabrics. They also have the big rolls, which seem to be fairly expensive, in my book. Gad – I haven’t been looking at fabric in forever. My stash is big enough, and it’s not shrinking…

1 Like

If you find someplace wonderful, please let me know. I need 26 yards for a drapery project I’m contemplating.

I recommend Golden D’or which is down on the Harry Hines “import zone.” It’s set up in more of a warehouse format but is still organized into sections based on type/purpose. They will also occasionally run coupons for holidays so they might have something for this weekend.

1 Like

Sadly, they closed last year. And, with so little warning that Mr. Sewing Machine, who was in the front room, had to scramble to find a place to work and get equipment out.

No way!! I had no idea. That sucks because they had e v e r y t h I n g!!

I know!!

Thanks for the recommendations everybody. Ended up going with this. Impulse purchase, we’ll see how it works out.

2 Likes

If you hate it “in person”, try Childress Fabrics.

2 Likes

I have had great luck at B&K on Midway in Addison when searching for vintage look fabrics. Also try across the street (can’t remember name) for great prices as well. Childress is high dollar but just a few doors down.

1 Like

I went to a store called Cutting Corners a while back that had good prices and a nice selection if what you’re getting doesn’t work.

2 Likes

There is an upholstery supply place on 183 in ft worth called J&J Supply. I went there the other day for no sag springs. They also have foam and lots of swatches for vinyl, leather…etc. they even carry specialty stuff like window felts for cars

3 Likes

I think it came out pretty good. Also the upholstery guy waaay overestimated how much fabric it would need, so if anybody wants some orange upholstery fabric hit me up.

6 Likes

I just dropped some bucks on some funky purple upholstery fabric - and don’t even have a project to upholster with it…

1 Like

That looks awesome. How much did the upholstery cost?

It was $1250 for the work and ~$300 for the fabric.

1 Like