Upgrade for Lift

A quickjack is not made for the environment(yes I am being nice) at the Makerspace.

Home and hobby use by an individual is much different than having many folks use and abuse the equipment. Many people at the Makerspace want tools or gear that they “think” they know something about but clearly do not.

It would be better to buy a good used name brand low or mid rise pre-owned lift in good condition made for daily commercial use instead.

As ive been told another lift is not an option right now. Maybe in the future. There are many detail shops and commercial repair automotive shops tbat abuse their Quick Jacks. I think you need to visit their website and read a few reviews by mechanics and other shops that use them daily. Quick Jack makes several models for commercial as well as residential. I have researched it before. So dont be so negative. Read for yourself. Then find a local shop who has one if you need more proof. If your still against it. Then comeup with another option cause they are not getting another one until either remding is done or the committee votes on something else.
Have a gokd one.

Tom probably does not do a whole lot of this, but some.

This is likely where his information comes from.
As the donor of the current lift, I’d say Tom knows a thing or two about lifts. As Tom is an active participant with many professionals and interested amateurs in the greater Golden Triangle automotive repair/customization/restoration industries a large swath of experientially-gathered opinion tends to be DMS’ windfall.

And this he has done, as committee chair some time ago, and now as a member, just a couple of posts up. Whether I personally agree or not, I respect Tom’s (and others’) opinion that Quick Jack -type products are not well-positioned to serve the Dallas Makerspace automotive/motorsports communities, and that we would do ourselves a favor to bide our time, get our remodel done, and then invest in as high a quality robust commercial product as we can find in our price range.

I sure do keep eyeballing those babies for my house, though. Sometimes I wish my garage were taller, my driveway leveler, my pockets deeper, and my free time more vast.

4 Likes

I appreciate tbe feed back.

Here are two photos of high quality lifts in use.
The worst car I have even owned is up on my scissor lift at my home.
This was made in Canada by Wheeltronic. It lifts 6000 pounds up 48" and is portable. It rolls - no need to anchor it to the floor. This lift weighs 1300 pounds.

The lift with the air cooled black cabrio on it is a lift i took apart and installed at my brother’s home garage. He has a studio above so he was limited in lift choices. This is a Benwil made in Japan, low ceiling model two post lift. 3phase(that was a surprise later). One does not ‘need’ higher ceilings for a lift in most cases.

Safety should come before saving money on new but disposable tools.

1 Like

I’ve been a big fan of the Wildfire lifts, they don’t need to be anchored to the concrete, and have wheel attachments so you can roll them around (then not in use). Plus makerspace friendly due to the drive up access. Combined with the air / hydraulic jack attachment, you can do 90% of automotive work without leaving any of the safety up to the… end user. Not cheap though.

https://www.wildfirelifts.com/copy-of-double-wide-car-lift

https://www.wildfirelifts.com/wf4500a

I’ll work with whatever you all decide. No worries.

Happy 2023 bump…

If there’s space for it, and if it would be appreciated/used, I know of a nice 6K Snap-On mid rise scissor lift that the committee could probably get very cheaply?

I think it’s this type…

6Klift

I have one of those at home - great lift.

One of the best $600 spent. Made in Canada, 40" lift height (more with the finger pads up), No electrician needed.

This would be an ideal “addition” to the lift we currently have in the Space we are still in and after the move. The flexibility of these semi portable lift is fantastic.

I’ll plan on attending next Automotive Committee meeting to discuss. :+1: That’s Wednesday 4/26 7:00 PM right?

@Bizwacky , @TLAR, @yashsedai will PM y’all in case we can work on logistics ahead of time, thanks.