Upgrade for Lift

If anyone would be interested, if I bought us a better telescope 2 post lift, would you be interested in helping install or replace the current setup? It has better capacity and options with the telescopes vs. the flat lift style. @Bizwacky - You’re the boss, what do you think?

Thoughts?

Id be down to invest for the DMS family, but would like to see if there is an approval process etc. I know others that bought from the same company with the same lift, its an amazing buy.

Joe

While I cannot claim to speak for DMS in general nor Automotive in particular, the thinking some time ago when the present lift was installed is that it is advantageous for an amateur organization because it’s more forgiving of … errors.

1 Like

The link provided is definitely a scam.

5 Likes

I’ll start off with echoing what @ESmith said about not claiming or wanting to speak for DMS in any other fashion than a member with an opinion, I will say I like the idea.

That being said, I feel that a donation like that would be best served being installed in the new Automotive area (if that ever comes to fruition).

Just my $.02 if it means anything.

3 Likes

I see, didnt know about the new automotive area… maybe @Bizwacky can give me some insights… I can hold off on the donation till that comes true, if we want to have both lifts as an option too. As for getting a lift, there is options from 1k to 3k, all depends on what you want and where you get it, the pricing has come down a ton over the years.

1 Like

Having two lifts at access is exactly what I was thinking.
Especially if we could have one that would handle up to 9,000 or 10,000 pounds for larger vehicles like some of the vans that I’ve seen come through and (yes this is self serving) my Dodge Ram Dually that I’m currently working on off site.

You are correct about two post lifts coming down in price over the years. I looked into one back in 2003 that I could order from, I shit you not, AutoZone but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 6,500 for it.
And that was only good for 5,000 lb and did not include installation.

1-3K is still probably too cheap. I would like to personally see a 12k lift. My Excursion weighs 8k empty. Its kinda a hassle to go to my buddies house.

4 Likes

Agreed.
I do need to find out what the curb weight of my dually is, lol

And I know this is probably a pipe dream (maybe, haven’t checked price recently) but I would dig a four post drive on lift with lift pads for suspension work.

With some connections, I can get us a 12k for a few grand, and it depends on what we want to spend. We all could chip in too, and decide, doesn’t matter to me, I’m just all about building things right and i agree, not the cheapest but if you just google lifts and amounts, you’ll see how much they have come down on pricing… And from serious companies too (selling them)

3 Likes

Eric has the general consensus that was discussed long ago.

The swing-arm style lifts do certainly offer better access under the car, but at the increased risk of accidents. I’ve seen quite a few photos of people who are ‘professional’ mechanics that show cars that have slipped or fallen off of that style lift, whereas it’s basically impossible to screw up the mega-pad style that we have now. The liability for a car falling was a major concern.

That said, I’d love to have one!

4 Likes

That is suspiciously cheap. It’s a great deal if the quality is there. Our plan when we move to the other side is to have two lifts, and I think we should seriously consider that style for the second one.

I appreciate the offer, but for now I think it’s not worth the pain and suffering of the install. That’s just my opinion though, it’s worth discussing in the next committee meeting.

1 Like

Good luck getting a USA made or European made lift for a “few grand”

A “serious and high quality lift” would be a Mohawk brand lift, but you won’t find those on Good for a few thousand unless they are used and abused.

1 Like

While we’re talking lifts, what about a set of quick jacks for the other bay. It’d be a nicer alternative to jack stands when the primary lift is in use.

no,
for close the the same money get a portable midrise scissor lift with articulating arms and pads

1 Like

I would be willing to help. As soon as I have a membership.

I would be happy to help with the install and setup.

Still pie-in-the-sky…

1 Like

That’s a great idea! Maybe the guy that offered to get the new could that instead?

I brought it up last night. But because of space not an option at this time. Why not a quick Jack? Uber 2k and would fit next to the lift and would be higher than the plastic ramps. Your thoughts?