Update on remodel and last meeting recap please

Please post a remodel update, what’s next?
Also, I did not see the last meeting notes posted?

I was curious about the new wheel. I thought the original approval was for 2 new wheels?

Thank you,
Anita

Meeting minutes are available on the FA wiki.

Remodel Update:

Progress is slow but still happening!

Works Shelves: Ingrid and I cleaned them off completely this week and moved them for greater access, if the layout works, we’ll be relabeling them in a colorful and easy to read fashion.

Slab Roller: First draft concept has been laid out and we have an awesome volunteer to work on the build, I need to send some details along.

Lampworking: Funding proposal received board approval for three setups and safety equipment for six students+one instructor. Those items are being ordered.

Cabinet/Storage organization: This needs to be wrapped up ASAP. @Kathryn_Bredderman and @Shirley, what sort of timeline are we looking at for labeling and shelf photos? There are also some items that still don’t have a permanent home, this needs to be figured out. Grey storage cabinet will be staying on the wall next to the glaze shelves. Shirley, if you won’t be able to do this before you are unavailable, please pressgang someone into it. (Don’t worry about the books, there will be a shelf above the glazes for them.)

Back Tables: This is my current stumbling block. Due to the size of the sheets, I need to make sure they can be installed on the same day we get them to DMS. Scheduling has been tricky, but I will double down on getting that done.

Glaze Cabinet: Being built this weekend.

Wheels: To get a better deal, I’ve split the order, the second wheel is coming within two weeks. We could have gotten a CXC immediately but it would have cost us $1400 (extra 1/4HP we don’t need).

Kiln Stanchions: These need to be built, @JoshW - does this sound like something you would be interested in? Very basic woodworking.

Other assorted items: Need to order the storage for the sponges, make new vinyl labels for the bins, make/buy wheel sled for clay bin, decide on and order the new whiteboard replacement system, change bag on the clay trap, bring up the throwing bench (Sunday).

Wedging Table Solutions: I want to revisit this at a meeting once we have everything else done.

**If anyone feels helpful, let me know and I’ll get you set up with a groovy project!

3 Likes

Great news, Thanks!!!

I had a question about the meeting notes. Just curious, Why is the entire line of Celadon glaze being purchased? Do we have a lot of potters requesting that? From what I’ve seen in FA they use a lot of the Potters Choice line.

1. Amaco glaze
    We were offered $230 worth of Amaco glaze with the purchase of the wheels. Shirley to purchase basics (entire line of Celadon) and to ask FA members on Talk which colours they want

Let’s chalk that one up to us talking fast, shorthand, digressions and a totally awesome volunteer keeping notes for me this time. I’ll try to get around to edit them but that’s low priority on my list. If you would like to edit to fix:

We will have $200 in Amaco credit upon final wheel payment. We will be purchasing heavily from the Celadon and Potter’s Choice lines. We will be putting request/inquiry lists up on Talk/FB before purchase.

1 Like

I’ll be up Sunday after class to try and knock out the rest of supply organization and get the labeling done. I’ll have a better idea at that point if I’ll be able to get photos done or if I’ll need someone to to finish it out.

2 Likes

My schedule does not permit me to help at this time sorry. However I look foward to crossing over and taking some classes in fired arts soon it look like another awesome community like so many at Dallas maker space.

1 Like

No problem! I’ll edit your entry in the FA contact list. Looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

This is AWESOME!!! I can try to help out on Saturday for an hour or so. I have been meaning to take pictures of the various slumping molds etc. and post inside the door. Are all of the molds from the same company/supplier? I am thinking that a shortcut might be if the supplier has photos on their website. Possibly i could print them out and use as an index. I can check on this also on Saturday.

2 Likes

Some of the molds were made by @Kriskat30. Some may have been purchased, but a fair number look like they were also handmade. For instance, we’ve got (had?) a good one for a votive holder, and the bottom looked irregular, which made me assume that we had made it.

4 Likes

Most of the current glass molds in the cabinets are commercial and purchased at American in Fort Worth, I bet a bunch of them are on their website. If I could get a prospective finish date on the storage org, that would be awesome. If you don’t make it, that’s fine but it gives us something for which to aim.

That said, I have a small wrench to throw into your plans! There will be new glass equipment coming in the next week or so and I have no idea of the volume. We will also need to find a good storage option for all the safety glasses. I’ll shoot you a text as soon as it comes in. I’m also thinking we should order an additional shelf for the big cabinet, do you concur?

1 Like

Okay! Glaze shelf, shenanigans. Hinges are hard, yo. All the wood is cut, all the hardware bought, much sawdust created. But there is a slight delay while a different hinge is figured out and our builder is tackling it again on March 10.

1 Like

Going back on our conversation about the upcoming wedging tables yesterday. I understand you also want this area as the designated glass making area.
I feel the glass will take off once it is started. Everyone is excited about it.
My concern is, this may prohibit the people working in clay from being able wedge their clay. Or, you may have people wedging next to people with torches. Wedging required some force and may rattle the table. Just something to think about.
Anita

This is incorrect, the tables are a shared workspace. It will work like everywhere else in DMS, first come, first serve. If someone is working on a delicate item of glass or clay, you will need to wedge on one of the other tables. If the other tables are full, then you will need to wait until space becomes available.

Ah, wait! I misread this slightly. I thought you said dedicated not designated, but yes. This is one reason why the tables are not attached to each other and are attached to the wall, should make them interfere with each other less. I’m not sure if torch work is even possible there, the confines are tight. It will depend on the brackets/heat output/etc. Not making that call until we can actually try it out with the new torches. Either way, it will accommodate more people of all makery-kinds than before and we will have to work together.

I’m wondering, where you are currently placing the glaze shelf, could that space hold a narrow table for glass? There would be no over head cabinet to worry about. Is the width there enough for a table?

With the free glaze there will be a lot for a while, Perhaps an over head cabinet could be used for glaze after the stock is use up a bit.

Should i proceed with the pictures of molds and index, or would it be better to wait to add in the new supplies.? I’m not totally clear on what is being added as far as glass supplies. I need to choose a block of time to come into DMS regularly as my schedule has gotten rather complicated.

Covered it in another thread, but I hate leaving a question hanging in a thread in case someone else is browsing. :slight_smile:

Let’s postpone the shelf photo guides until we get the donation sorted out, we have a lot of new tools to accommodate. This is the best sort of problem!