Upcoming DMS-Atomic Events

As of right now, we have the following items scheduled for the coming few weeks :
Tuesday, 20 October / 27 October, 8—10 PM, Lecture Hall
Nuclear and Radiological Accidents (in two parts)
Saturday, 24 October, 2—8 PM, Common Area
Nuclear Science Day at DMS
Bring in your Geiger counters and isotope sources!
Tuesday, 3 November, 8—10 PM, Lecture Hall
Nuclear Breeder Reactors

I’ve left some of these around the Space, in a further attempt to advertise. I would have printed up something for the frames in the front hallway, but these are now occupied by photo-collages, I guess because nobody besides me was really using them!

2 Likes

I wish I could go. I’m unable at the moment to attent tonight’s classes. I’ve seen both sides of the coin (I think). Rumors one way or the other.

Well, last night’s class went pretty OK, even though I wasn’t able to use my slides (for a personal-stupidity reason). I’ll make sure to review the material at the beginning of next Tuesday’s class.

I was afraid that we were not going to achieve critical mass, but turnout was good.

2 Likes

I’ve created a YouTube playlist for Nuclear Science Day videos – rather more than we’re going to be able to watch in 6 hours, I dare say.

A little something in advance of Tuesday’s class on reactor accidents.

Very interesting article

Would anyone be interested in a re-run of my “Introduction to Atomic Energy” class?
If so, when would be convenient to have it scheduled?

Two major thoughts.
(1) I have had some interest expressed in the topic of nuclear explosives. While I don’t really want to deal with “weapons” topics, I could present on “nuclear and thermonuclear explosives and their civilian applications”. I’m also thinking that a program on “portable, mobile, and vehicle nuclear powerplants”. Any response?
I’m on the fence as to whether to do this before or after a new series of “Introduction to Atomic Energy”.

(2) In response to a request, I have added some links to the Wiki pages on classes : some YouTube videos on related topics, & a sample document from the Department of Energy’s OSTI server.

I enjoyed the lecture on breeder reactors and would like a chance to go to the intro lecture that I missed.

OK, I have submitted “Portable, Mobile, and Vehicle Atomic Power” for Tuesday the 24th at 8 PM, and “Nuclear and Thermonuclear Explosives and their Peaceful Uses” for December 8th.

I will have to think a little while longer about scheduling a new series of “Introduction to Atomic Energy”. I had done it as 2-hour lectures at 4 PM on Saturdays, but I suppose I could do 8 PM if that is a better option.

Brian,

This flagging thing is getting a little out of hand.

Completely agreed.

The flag function has validity, but this is not in the spirit of what it was intended for.

Oh, and to keep this “on-topic”…

Why on earth was Walter censored?

Looks like someone has a piece of U-235 up their ass.

JAG “Thermonuclear Suppository” MAN

P.S. Walter, please repost with prejudice.

2 Likes

I guess my efforts to keep this thread useful are bound to fail.
Perhaps one of you Clever Charlies can come up with an answer to the question of what a thread to actually discuss upcoming Atomic Energy Interest Group events or activities should be called.

Perhaps not prejudice, but maybe this will be found a little less offensive.
Uranium Technology

1 Like

Chris,

I guess my efforts to keep this thread useful are bound to fail.

No they are not - you are doing a good job.

Perhaps one of you Clever Charlies can come up with an answer to the question of what a thread to actually discuss upcoming Atomic Energy Interest Group events or activities should be called.

“Atomic Energy Interest Group: Nothing Nuclear Related Is Off-Topic - If You Are Offended Then Mute the Thread.”

JAG “This Is NOT A Soap Bubble” MAN

2 Likes

Censorship is radioactive!

2 Likes

I started this thread in order to provide information, and solicit input and feedback, about Atomic Energy Interest Group programs and activities. Cluttering it up with posts not relevant to that topic defeats the purpose. I’d start a new thread with a different title if I didn’t think the same thing would happen again.

Introduction to Atomic Energy
There have been some requests for a re-run of this lecture series, which I have been meaning to do. Looking at what I already have scheduled, & the upcoming holidays, I don’t consider it practical until January. (@Terrence)

Other Activities
I think there might be interest in a couple of things.
Autoradiography — we could grow a plant hydroponically in a bed of those Japanese radium balls, so that it takes up radioactive material, & then press cuttings up against photographic film. When developed, these pictures would show the distribution of the radioactive material in the plant.
Isotope Fingerprinting — Josh Baptist has told me he is going to bring me a multichannel pulse-height analyzer. With this & a scintillator, it is possible to identify specific radioactive materials by their characteristic gamma energies. I think this would make a very interesting demonstration, possibly in combination with the autoradiography (to give an idea of what radioactives are present in the beads, & which of those are taken up by the plant).

Membership
Is there anybody besides me willing to be listed under “Interest Group Members” on the Wiki?

“Is there anybody besides me willing to be listed under “Interest Group Members” on the Wiki?”

Sure, why not, it’s free isn’t it?

I’m not sure whether any of our DMS Committees charge dues, but an Interest Group cannot in reason do so. So the only cost is whatever value you might put on not being on some NSA list somewhere…