Underglaze questions/ help

I wanted to try and create a watercolor effect with underglaze for a mug. I’ve tried this twice with hummingbird images and both times the final image appears faded. The image after bisque was much darker and more vibrant but is faded after the final cone 6 firing. I’m using mayco underglaze and Amaco zinc free clear glazes. I’ve used underglaze before (not watered down) and not had this issue but again, it was so much better after the bisque firing. Do under glazes fade at higher temps or is the clear overcoat having an affect or something else?

4 Likes

I’m sorry I can’t answer your technical question, but I love how your hummingbirds look. IMO they look just like watercolors.

4 Likes

only thing i can think of is maybe the clear glaze is running a little bit making the underglaze look faded but i haven’t used clear before so im not sure if thats even a thing it does

I don’t understand what’s wrong with it? They look so pretty!

5 Likes

I like the way turned out I just don’t understand why they were so much brighter before the final firing. My first attempt they almost completely disappeared.

1 Like

Perhaps more coats? What brand are they?

Nevermind… I see, Mayco

Spectacular!
Love 'em as is, for full coverage 3 coats, colors will saturate at cone 6, but then you might loose that lovely watercolor effect.

2 Likes

My thought is that it’s the effect of being watered down. Cone 6 is a bit high for the underglazes. While most of them keep on keeping on, they may require that heavier coat to maintain color. Let me find my post. I pulled 2 videos from ladies who do watercolor underglazes – one on bisque, and one on greenware. They may say what clear that they use.

1 Like

Here’s the first one:

Anne Ewing Ruel (or is it Ruel Ewing…) is the greenware one. She posts lots of pictures in the Amaco FB page.

2 Likes

I’m just popping in to say that I also think they look gorgeous. Well done.

4 Likes

Your hummingbirds mugs are gorgeous. I definitely think they look like watercolor. If it was any more vibrant I am not sure if I would think watercolor or decal. Beautiful.

Does the underglaze contain zinc? Zinc can react. Some underglazes don’t do well at higher temps. From my experiences, it’s the underglaze. Did you use the same underglaze before without issue?

All I have are the mayco ones except I do have Amaco velvet for the black and white. I’d like to try at cone 5 to see if that makes a difference but I don’t expect it would be much different. Going to try again but add more glaze to see how that affects the final outcome.
I do wonder if there is a particular brand that is preferred by potters who use underglaze frequently or if there just isn’t much difference brand - to - brand.

I watched her video and the kiln unloading with the final result and felt like hers had a change as well ( post firing) but hers were still more intense color wise. I’d have to say I watered mine down more than she did which is probably why the change was more pronounced on mine.

1 Like

Another thing I was thinking about – Amaco’s Velvet underglazes let you know how much each of the underglazes start to burn out when you get up in the “high fire” ranges. You might check the Mayco website ( maycocolors.com ) to see what they say about specific colors. I know that Mayco keeps track of that – all Stroke and Coats have been tested to Cone 6. (The older Stroke and Coat bottles say “Cone 6 results”. Now they say “Mid-fire results”.)

Although – somewhere here I posted my results for a solid 3 coats of the Amaco Rose, which may burn out at Cone 6, and found that it was still a pretty bright color. That may have been in a slightly cooler part of the kiln, though.

I agree with what Beth is saying. When I was a Mayco Distributor in the 80’s/ 90’s they only had low fire glazes. Low fire slip casting was really popular. Make a low fire set with 3 coats and see if you are happier with the results.

1 Like

@Steve1 I just received this info. Maybe these would work better for you? Unless, this is what you are using :grin:

2 Likes

That’s not what I’m using but looks interesting, thanks!

I’ve been working with clear matte and regular clear and have noticed I have some cloudy spots and have looked it up and it says its due to not mixing the glaze enough before applying or applying too many coats, but I don’t think yours looks cloudy. I gotta say I love this mug how it is, so pretty.